Another golf cart ride to the marsh!!

7mm08

3 nice reds on a fly I tied. Love these tides and fish.

Attachments

• IMG_3082.jpeg
    IMG_3082.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3081.mov
    38.6 MB

megalomaniac

Awesome! How in the heck do you catch a red when the marsh is flooded like that? Down here, if we get a big high tide and the grass is flooded, all the reds move so deep into the grass you just can't get to them

7mm08

if I go two hours before high tide I found a cut they go thru to get to another 100 yards of marsh. As the tide comes in they eventually come in. I watch them come down towards me , cast ahead, let the fly sink , and then just tick it a few times and they can't stand it. I caught one about 22" today, the only red I saw.

And yes at absolute high tide it's hard to see them. When the tide turns they start heading back to the creeks. The fiddlers( their main food source right now) will go into hibernation as the water cools and then this fun and games is over.

Speaking of skinny water, they will come thru sometimes with their backs exposed trying to get to the fiddlers!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3078.mov
    76.4 MB
Last edited:

megalomaniac

if I go two hours before high tide I found a cut they go thru to get to another 100 yards of marsh. As the tide comes in they eventually come in. I watch them come down towards me , cast ahead, let the fly sink , and then just tick it a few times and they can't stand it. I caught one about 22" today, the only red I saw.

And yes at absolute high tide it's hard to see them. When the tide turns they start heading back to the creeks. The fiddlers( their main food source right now) will go into hibernation as the water cools and then this fun and games is over.

Speaking of skinny water, they will come thru sometimes with their backs exposed trying to get to the fiddlers!!!
aah, so you are wading back in there? Must be fairly firm. Down here, if you step out of a boat, you are sinking 2 feet deep in pure black muck. Back in the bayous, the fiddlers have disappeared/ gone to hibernate. 5w ago when I last fished, I must have seen over 100,000 on the edges of the bayous.

but the blue crabs were thick along the banks. I could have probably netted over a dozen keepers, not to mention hundreds of sub-legal blues. I'm really surprised the reds weren't feeding on them, seemed like they were focused on tiny minnows and 2in shrimp.

7mm08

Yes , wading and yes you have to be aware of what we call PLUFF MUD.

SOME folks down here use fiddlers around piers or towards the bank as they would a mud minnow

Latest posts