Mounting options for Helix 9

FLTENNHUNTER1

G3 1910 has Lowrance factory mounted 5 inch Hook Reveal in console. I am going to leave it there (disconnected for now to plug the hole). I have been looking at Rammount units to mount it next to console. I currently don't have anything mounted on the bow. I was thinking of mounting another rammount up there so I can move it from console location to bow location when I am on the trolling motor. Or, maybe just rotate it around in the console position so I can see it when I am on the trolling motor.

I am looking at these two options. Thoughts? Are there better options than these two?

1702179239617.png

ad28

I'm not a fan of ram mounts. They allow the graph to move too much and I've had my front graph smack the deck in really rough water on guntersville. I run a balzout mount up front now. It's rock solid but not easy to move.

scn

I run the swing arm mount on my console for my Lowrance chartplotter. At some point I may add another unit on the bow with a trolling motor transducer on my freshwater boat. I am primarily using my unit for the maps (with a Florida Marine Tracks chip) in super shallow water.

FLTENNHUNTER1

I'm not a fan of ram mounts. They allow the graph to move too much and I've had my front graph smack the deck in really rough water on guntersville. I run a balzout mount up front now. It's rock solid but not easy to move.
What length arm did you use? What graph do you have?

bluball

Ram mounts suck! Ballzout is the way to go!
I actually prefer the ram mount over the ballzout.But I'm talking about the big ram D one(2.25 ball) have used the same one since 2011 on several different boats.I have a 12in lowrance on it at the moment at the console.I mainly like the ram because I believe I can adjust it quicker than the ballzout.

Spurhunter

I actually prefer the ram mount over the ballzout.But I'm talking about the big ram D one(2.25 ball) have used the same one since 2011 on several different boats.I have a 12in lowrance on it at the moment at the console.I mainly like the ram because I believe I can adjust it quicker than the ballzout.
Ram Mounts certainly adjust faster than Ballzout, but once I get my graph set where I want it I hardly ever move it. I've seen too many Ram Mounts slip. I just don't trust them with expensive electronics. I know the Ballzout isn't going anywhere.

bluball

Ram Mounts certainly adjust faster than Ballzout, but once I get my graph set where I want it I hardly ever move it. I've seen too many Ram Mounts slip. I just don't trust them with expensive electronics. I know the Ballzout isn't going anywhere.
The ones that slip are usually the small ball versions with big graphs or the knock off junk versions.I usually don't move mine either,but when I need to I prefer to just twist the handle.No doubt the ballzout is solid though,I just prefer the ram.

bluball

I bought the 9 inch Ballzout and I have a 9" Garmin on it. You can put as big a graph or multiple graphs on it. They are rock solid.
I really wouldn't prefer it for 2 graphs,
I bought the 9 inch Ballzout and I have a 9" Garmin on it. You can put as big a graph or multiple graphs on it. They are rock solid.
I definitely wouldn't put 2 on it at the console.At the bow there are a lot better options also for a double mount

ad28

The ones that slip are usually the small ball versions with big graphs or the knock off junk versions.I usually don't move mine either,but when I need to I prefer to just twist the handle.No doubt the ballzout is solid though,I just prefer the ram.
I have seen the big versions slip as well. If you are in calm waters they are fine but rough water is what gets them. The Army uses them for multiple application but mainly for JBCP screens.

FLTENNHUNTER1

I've been known to go airborn in my G3 1910 so I'm leaning towards ballzout; BUT, bluball is THE MAN when it comes to installs so I don't know WTH to do now 😳

bluball

I have seen the big versions slip as well. If you are in calm waters they are fine but rough water is what gets them. The Army uses them for multiple application but mainly for JBCP screens.
I've fished some stuff so ruff when I got home my wife asked me how I was alive.Large and medium drift socks sometimes dragging 7ft of 3/8in log chain.That is with a 12in lowrance and you have to get it tight.They actually make a wrench to tighten them properly with.

Crosshairy

I have used the swing-arm RAM mount that you are showing on the left for my 9" Helix unit, and it works well. I have it mounted to a plate on the T-rail of my Xpress duck boat. I like the ability to pivot it to the side, as I definitely have a multi-use boat. If I wanted something rock-solid in a single spot, I might have gone a different direction.

Latest posts