Motor Guide trolling motor on my tracker boat!

Stalker

I bought a 2007 Tracker 175TXW last year and have had to take the trolling motor that came with it back to the Bass Pro 5 times already! They replaced a part I put it in the water and use it for about 15 20 minutes and it shorts out every time they claim they have fixed it. This last time they claimed that it was the boat so I took the boat to them (that costs in gas, I live about 55 miles from them) shop supervisor lifts up the battery compartment and pushes a circuit breaker button that had popped and the motor worked. I asked "so, what is causeing it to pop?" He says "it is just getting hot in the water, this is common"...I am like ?????????????? That makes no sense but whatever he says I am good to go. So off to the lake the family and I go. :mad: AGAIN 15 MINUTES IN THE WATER AND IT SHORTS OUT!! :mad: I go back and this time I am working with the store manager. I told him I wanted a new one, and he agrees then calls back and says that since it is over 12 months old (2 yr warranty) that he would have to call Motor Guide. (to be honest I do not care what they have to do I should get a new one) but they decide to try and fix it again. (more gas for the road trip up there plus a guy can not walk in a Bass Pro and not buy anything) My wallet is hurting... They call me the next day and say that the problem must be in my boat. (checked it before I went up there...I got 12.5 volts at the recepticle where my trolling motor plugs in and the motor still does not work.) I told them I was really confident that it was the trolling motor not the boat, then I remembered that water had been coming out the shaft ever since they worked on it last time. They checked it out this morning and GUESS WHAT...They messed up the seals the last time they replaced a part in the trolling motor and that was causing water to get in and short circuit the mortor and controls. THEY STILL WILL NOT GIVE ME A NEW ONE AFTER IT HAD WATER ALL UP IN THE LOWER UNIT AND ALL THE CIRCUITRY!!! :mad: :mad: They want to replace the seals and dry it out, and let me have it back. I am so :mad: at Bass Pro for the way I have been treated. Cabelas would never treat a customer this way! Wish we had one!

bowriter

R.I.P.
I feel for you. Here is what you do.

#1- Document the problems, much as you have in your post.
#2- Forget Bass Pro. You contact Motor Guide directly. It is not hard to do.
#3- Get the customer service guy on the line.
#4- Inform him that you are going to email of fax him the supporting information and at that same it is going to every member of SEOPA.
#5- Ask if he has a solution.

Stalker

I drove all the way up there this afternoon and talked to them. The Service manager swears it is fixed for good this time. I told them point blank, no exceptions if I am back again for the same problem I expect nothing less than a brand new one. I retold the entire story to them and made sure that they understood that I felt that I have been above fair for a customer and that I should not have had to experience the troubles I have for this long. Store manager gave me a $50 gift card for my troubles and they both said that they understood my position if I return again.

I'll be in the water tomorrow, so we'll see what happens. If I get any more attitude about it I will follow your advice...

Thanks bowriter...

Fence Post

So now you have a one year warranty on a motor which has been pretty much useless the first year.I wouldn't want to take the chance that it would break again on my dime in the next two years. Return the gift card and follow Bowriter's advice.I'm sure he's been there.... ;)

Stalker

Fence Post said:
So now you have a one year warranty on a motor which has been pretty much useless the first year.I wouldn't want to take the chance that it would break again on my dime in the next two years. Return the gift card and follow Bowriter's advice.I'm sure he's been there.... ;)

Not to be disrespectful but its not your dime its mine and I choose to do what I choose to do... :wink:

Stalker

It ran all day yesterday... :grin:

I do not think I will have any more problems out of it. It had been shorting out after just 10 - 20 minutes in the water and I ran it for 1 hr straight and then off and on for another 4 hrs and had no issues...

Seeing how it was BPS fault the entire time I do not anticipate having any trouble if it fails again. Them messing up the seal and causing water to leak into it puts the whole thing in the Bass Pro Shops responsibility. Motor Guide will not take any responsibility for the neglegance of the BPS service center.

Getting it documented is the key... :wink:

Thanks for the inputs and sorry for the attitude...but I had been dealing with this for a while and was just about at wits end...

Latest posts