More on Sweet Potatoes

BlountArrow

I've googled and hunted around on the internet and cannot seem to get a straight answer. So, I'm going to ask here. Are you supposed to / is it recommended to cut back the vines on your sweet potatoes during the growing season? Last year the vines on my Beauregards went crazy! We dug up several good size sweet potatoes for sure (overall I was pleased) but I also had several that were the size of a carrot and someone told me it had to do with the nutrients going to sustain the vines instead of the roots (aka potatoes). I don't know what's true and what isn't. What's your take?

Nimrod777

I thought that the leaves were providing nutrients to the tuber via chlorophyll.

This from Bonnie Plants: The vines of sweet potatoes tend to ramble far and wide, which is why many home gardeners don't raise them. If vines are wandering out of bounds, try turning them back into the vegetable garden. It's best not to trim vines; they help feed the potatoes

BlountArrow

Nimrod777":2js4grj7 said:
I thought that the leaves were providing nutrients to the tuber via chlorophyll.

Well, that is kind of what I remembered from my 8th grade science class but I had heard vicious rumors that led me to believe the contrary. Thanks for the quote from the Bonnie plants website. I guess I'll just let the vines run for the hills like last year.

DaveB

Too much nitrogen?

Did you pinch off any blossoms to get a smaller numerical harvest but larger weight?

Latest posts