More Lowrance/Electronic Questions

hillbillyfab

So I'm hunting a depth/fish finder for our 16' flat bottom. To say I know very little about all the options and capabilities of units that are on the market is an understatement. I had a friend give me a Lowrance LMS-520C, claims it worked, but I haven't seen it power up personally. It's got the transducer and cable with it, but no power cable. Stumbling around online looking for a power cable, it looks like it's going to run me in the $30-50 range. Does anyone have any dealings with this unit? Just wondering if it should get a power cable or put my money towards another complete unit. What say ya TNDeer?
4fa3066227fe5b8adf4afb379fe031d0.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

fairchaser

I just bought the Lowrance Hook 2 7 inch Triple shot for a deal. It was $100 off plus I got 10% off on Tuesday and free shipping so it came down to $269 plus tax. That has chirp downscan , plotting, GPS and sidescan. You might compare that with the features of yours and see if the price difference is worth it.

hillbillyfab

I looked that unit up you bought. Looks like you caught it for a really good price for $269 + tax. I'm really not sure what all this unit I was giving will do after reading about it online. It seems it needs some kind of external GPS puck as well for one of the features.

WTM

its a basic unit with 200khz 2d sonar and supposed to have some type of mapping included. they came with an lgc-3000 antennae puck for the gps. the gps wont work without that puck. for on plane depth readings and fish returns in water over 20 to 30ft deep or so it would be ok for the price of the power cable, if it actually works.

about the cheapest your probably going to find is a hook2 5" splitshot for a newer model, somewhere around 300 bucks. the hook2 "X" models do not include any mapping only gps plotter. the hook2 series has the high wide 200khz chirp 2d and basically acts like a combination of 83khz and 200khz in one signal. good for showing fish returns in all depths but harder to pinpoint those fish to get on top of them, something that fan casting wont solve.

fairchaser

hillbillyfab":2no3ijas said:
I looked that unit up you bought. Looks like you caught it for a really good price for $269 + tax. I'm really not sure what all this unit I was giving will do after reading about it online. It seems it needs some kind of external GPS puck as well for one of the features.
I tried it out on the lake for the first time today and was very impressed. It's very clear and fairly intuitive to operate. I need to learn how to read the charts but with the fish ID turned on it was easy to see fish. I attached the transducer to my trolling motor and the side scan still worked well. I'm pretty sure you can still order one for $300.

Latest posts