New Boat Owner - Questions on Batteries

BLC

I recently purchased a 2015 Tracker 175 TF.
The boat has 2 batteries, apparently wired in series.
I understand one of these batteries is for the engine cranking and the other powers the trolling motor and electronics such as the depth finder and radio.

I want to put new batteries in and am looking for recommendations.

Due to being wired together, will both batteries need to be the same type (I understand the trolling battery will need to be deep cycle)?

Does anyone have experience with the Optima Marine AGM Deep Cycle?

I appreciate comments from those with experience.
I'll have more questions.

IMG_5579.jpg

BuckWild

They don't look like they are wired in series to me.

Wired in series would mean that the neg post on one battery is wired to the pos of the other battery. Then across the pos of one to the neg of the other would produce 24 volts.

Looks like the top is the cranking battery and it has smaller acc connectors attached as well.

The bottom one is the deep cycle and it has your trolling motor and something else, possibly an onboard charger hooked to it.

That's all I can tell by the photo.

Bucket

I agree that those don't look like they're wired in series. Your setup looks exactly like mine - one battery for cranking and electronics, one for trolling motor, and both serviced by a 2 bank charger. I just replaced my size 24 cranking battery with a size 27 hybrid cranking/deep cycle marine/RV battery from Duracell purchased at Sam's Club. So far so good. Your batteries should both be 12 volt, but otherwise don't have to match since they are charged independently. If you're convinced they're wired together we'll need more pics of the setup.

Bucket

Specifically the battery I got is called a Duracell Dual purpose. It still delivers the higher CCA's for cranking, but has deep cycle qualities for things like a depth finder. It's still lead acid, not an AGM like you inquired about, but it was only $81 at Sam's. The battery it replaced was also a Duracell marine and lasted 5 years. You would still need a dedicated deep cycle for the trolling motor battery - the dual purpose I'm talking about would be for your cranking battery only. I would recommend upgrading to size 27 as well if they will fit. They're only about an inch longer and provide more capacity than the 24's.

RobDooley

I have the second set of Optima Blue Tops in my Triton. When these go, I think I will buy the X2 Premium AGM Dual Purpose. They are about $400.00 each with a 48 month free replacement. Hey, the Blue Tops aren't cheap. I run two 10" Hummingbird's; 24 volt trolling motor; livewells; etc with no issues. The Blue Top is a good battery...not as good as they used to be.

BuckWild

The deep cycle batteries are sized by Amp/Hours. If it's a 200 amp/hr battery it will supply one amp of current continually for 200 hours theoretically.
Keep that in mind while pricing/selecting a battery.

I agree with the above poster, the Optimas are not what they used to be,

Latest posts