More Freezer Meat

Mike Belt

I brought 2 more deer home this morning. I plan on experimenting with different recipes on summer sausage, breakfast sausage, bolonga, and snack sticks so I need the extra meat. I stopped on the way home and checked a new spot out for another hunt in the morning if I decide to go. Last chance to squeeze the trigger for another year. Odds are I'll be there.

Mike Belt

First deer came through Bam! She took off stumbling all the way. She ran over the lip of a ridge and out of sight. I knew she should be dead but was afraid that I'd be dragging from the bottom of steep ridge. Deer #2 came through Bam! Almost an exact repeat step for step. Over the lip of the ridge and out of sight. I knew this one should be dead as well. When I got down and made it over to the lip of the ridge I was pleasantly surprised to discover both deer laying just over the lip. Neither had made it off the side of the ridge. Easy short drags to where I could get to them on my wheeler. Both deer had their hearts destroyed but neither left any blood trail. That's the 7th deer this year taken with my 270 shooting 140 grain accubonds that didn't leave any blood trail. I never had a problem before with these bullets.

TCounty Hunter

My 270 shot this morning. Winchester 130 grain ballistic silvertips. Baseball size exit hole. Havent had one go far enough to track with these so far

2013-01-05_09-31-57_804_zpse5255864.jpg

Hunter 257W

Mike Belt said:
First deer came through Bam! She took off stumbling all the way. She ran over the lip of a ridge and out of sight. I knew she should be dead but was afraid that I'd be dragging from the bottom of steep ridge. Deer #2 came through Bam! Almost an exact repeat step for step. Over the lip of the ridge and out of sight. I knew this one should be dead as well. When I got down and made it over to the lip of the ridge I was pleasantly surprised to discover both deer laying just over the lip. Neither had made it off the side of the ridge. Easy short drags to where I could get to them on my wheeler. Both deer had their hearts destroyed but neither left any blood trail. That's the 7th deer this year taken with my 270 shooting 140 grain accubonds that didn't leave any blood trail. I never had a problem before with these bullets.

Just curious about the lack of a blood trail. Are most of these bullets exiting? I would think a 140gr from a 270 would exit with enough "OOOMPH" to leave a good size hole for blood to leak. I shot a buck this year with a 7.62x39 that left zero blood but the exit hole was tiny. I was suprised that cartridge gave full penetration at the sharp angle I hit the deer from considering the short 125grain 30 cal bullet. In a huge contrast I shot 2 other deer using the Barnes TTSX bullet from a 257Weatherby and it gave a nice 1 inch exit hole and one deer in particular left a blood trail an honest foot wide.

Hunter 257W

Holy crud, TCountyHunter, are you sure you're not adding something to those bullets? :)

I used some regular 130gr BTips in my 270 to shoot a couple of deer and never got results like that!

TCounty Hunter

Hunter 257W said:
Holy crud, TCountyHunter, are you sure you're not adding something to those bullets? :)

I used some regular 130gr BTips in my 270 to shoot a couple of deer and never got results like that!

Lol. These bullets have been great. Dropped a 10 pt 100 yds in his tracks last year. Never thought about runnin. Love them. I think they are labeled gxp2 or something like that.

Mike Belt

With the exception of 1 shot all bullets exited the offside. Any time in the past I've had deer run after the shot I've been able to pick up an immediate blood trail but for some reason that's not happening. I always start blood tracking just to see even if I can see the deer lying down beyond me. All shots have been through the shoulders or in the boiler room. The shots are killing the eer and they're dropping within 50 yards but when you hunt super thick areas sometimes it's hard to tell where the deer went without a blood trail. I haven't lost any yet but I don't want to either.

darn2ten

Man that is weird. That's the exact reason I quit using ballistic tip bullets, except I wasn't even getting exit with them. I switched to accubonds and was well pleased, I have never had one fail to exit and always left great blood trails. My experience was with a 30/06, not a 270.

Latest posts