Meat and temps

30-06 type of guy

Would bags of ice inside a deer be ok for maybe 1.5-2 hours this weekend in shade? I'm use to immediately getting it done. My son plays football now and a possibility of game time changing to 10am. I refuse to miss any sports games of his, season openings or using a processor. Tryna get my ducks in a row but hoping for a quick opportunity in the first hour

Omega

Would bags of ice inside a deer be ok for maybe 1.5-2 hours this weekend in shade? I'm use to immediately getting it done. My son plays football now and a possibility of game time changing to 10am. I refuse to miss any sports games of his, season openings or using a processor. Tryna get my ducks in a row but hoping for a quick opportunity in the first hour
I've done it overnight when the processor was full, but not quite this warm Filled the cavity with ice and some on top and laid a tarp over it, kept decently cool, so for that length of time it should be no problem.

kaizen leader

It's worked for me many times when it's hot like now and 6-8 hours has not been a problem. I rap it with a tarp too.

mike243

Sticking a bag of ice in the chest cavity wont stop the hams and shoulders from rotting, cover the deer with bags of ice and a tarp, lose a deer and not find it till the next morning when it's warm out will spoil a deer, getting the guts out and cooled down as fast as possible means a lot imo.

30-06 type of guy

I'm weird when it comes to this stuff. I'd be afraid. If I didn't have time to properly take care of my kill I wouldn't hunt. A chest cavity full-on ice won't stop the hams, shoulder and neck from going bad. Be careful
I am too but I can't help but to be in a tree every chance possible. If I can get one down by 8 then I'm fine. I'll quarter and put on ice. This is buck only so my chances may be low on a shooter anyways.

Latest posts