Mole Trapping

TN Song Dog

No picture, but I got my first mole of the year. I only have 1 trap, and I probably need about 10 more.

If anyone has been successful making a real dent in their mole problem, please post your equipment and methods.

Fyi, I'm not much of a believer in the "kill the grubs..." method. If you can tell me different with certainty, I'm willing to listen.

smalljawbasser

I'm not a fan of "kill the grubs" either. I would imagine that the grubs, and I know for sure the worms, contribute a lot to the health of your soil.

As far as trapping, I have personally made a difference with two things. Determined trapping, and rolling my lawn with one of those big water filled lawn rollers. There was something about that thing that kept the varmints gone for a while.

Are you tuning your traps?

TN Song Dog

Roller would at least help me locate new active tunnels!

Not sure about tuning mole traps. What kind do you use, and how do you tune? Ha!

I only have one of the scissor style you step on, from tractor supply. I need more traps, but not sure if I would buy more of these at $30 each...

I haven't figured out how to put a duke 1.5 upside down over a tunnel yet, lol!

pass-thru

You're getting ripped off if you're paying $30 for scissor traps. I use Victor Out of Sight mole traps and they run less than $10/each.

This is a good time of year to trap them, when they are active and the grass is not yet taking over. If you are dealing with an infestation, I would want at least 3-4 traps and check them every morning. Not difficult to trap, the tunnels are easy to find and if they are active they plow right into the traps. You can tell if they are not active because they won't repair the tunnels that are flattened down.

Latest posts