Minerals

Hookem

Newly timbered area. Using some of the stumps as lick sites. Molasses, trophy rocks, rock salt and deer cane. trying different recipes to see what they like best.

Attachments

• 060EFE67-DA0C-4036-92C5-558BA6285423.jpeg
    060EFE67-DA0C-4036-92C5-558BA6285423.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 45

JCDEERMAN

Newly timbered area. Using some of the stumps as lick sites. Molasses, trophy rocks, rock salt and deer cane. trying different recipes to see what they like best.
Ditto on what DR said. We have 9 new areas that look just like that - all 2.5 - 4 acres a piece. Having dozer work done for the next month. A couple places done and the rest will hopefully be done soon. Will be creating a lot more food for the critters

Hookem

Any plans on developing a food plot in the opening pictured? Looks like a nice opportunity....allot of work but rewarding.
I have a neighbor with an excavator who is going to remove the stumps in the field to create some ridge line food plots. The stumps on the edges are my lick experiments. Putting lime down, clover, beets and greens but don't expect big results this Fall. Just wanting to get them started. Property is surrounded by big woods. Should be fun.

DoubleRidge

I have a neighbor with an excavator who is going to remove the stumps in the field to create some ridge line food plots. The stumps on the edges are my lick experiments. Putting lime down, clover, beets and greens but don't expect big results this Fall. Just wanting to get them started. Property is surrounded by big woods. Should be fun.

Sounds like a great plan...good luck! We are on year two with developing two new ridge top plots...this summer we tried buckwheat with the primary goal of improving soil and smothering weeds...so far we've been pleased....going to sow fall blend directly into the buckwheat then bush hog....and hopefully time it out right with the rain.....keep us posted on your progress...enjoy reading updates from others.

Hookem

Sounds like a great plan...good luck! We are on year two with developing two new ridge top plots...this summer we tried buckwheat with the primary goal of improving soil and smothering weeds...so far we've been pleased....going to sow fall blend directly into the buckwheat then bush hog....and hopefully time it out right with the rain.....keep us posted on your progress...enjoy reading updates from others.
We can all benefit from hearing what works and what doesn't. I look forward to hearing how your plots develop as well.
oh, and I am planting a clover fescue grass mix from Tractor Supply on and on the sides of my logging trails to help them hold up to water runoff.

DoubleRidge

We can all benefit from hearing what works and what doesn't. I look forward to hearing how your plots develop as well.
oh, and I am planting a clover fescue grass mix from Tractor Supply on and on the sides of my logging trails to help them hold up to water runoff.

Absolutely....I've learned and benefited from others experiences on TNdeer...in particular the Food Plot and QDM section....and smart move on trying to control erosion on your logging roads....we have one section of road that needs attention now....wish I would have sowed it heavy in the beginning....it's not terrible...but needs some work....the projects are never ending with land management... always something to do.... But I enjoy the process!!

Latest posts