Changing minerals

JB2870

I'm thinking about changing the brand of minerals I'm using in one of my mineral sites. I can't find what I was using local, I figure it shouldn't hurt anything but I thought I'd get some input. Thanks

Omega

Here is the recipe I used, I purchased everything at the coop, which at the time, they only had large bags then, now you may be able to order or find smaller amounts:

Mineral Mix Recipe Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs.

• 1 part DiCalcium Phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores. Comes in 50lb Bags, need one bag.
  • 2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications. Comes in 50lb Bags, you need two bags.
  • 1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt. Comes in 50lb Bags, you need one bag.
  • 1 box of Washing Soda (sodium carbonate) per mix

Directions: -Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix. -Mix all together well but not until ready to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use. -Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep. -Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Method two: Put salt in a burlap sand bag, or cut off pant leg, and hang it from a tree branch.

Omega

I switched to cattle mineral blocks, didn't see any real difference between these, the DIY, or commercial products, so stuck with it. The ingredients are close enough that I didn't have an issue trying them out, and they are much cheaper too. I just set these out on my little place today, the other spot is in the CWD area so nothing there.

iu

iu

tellico4x4

We haven't put out any minerals since March 2021 due to CWD concerns. Many of our sites were established 10-15 yrs ago & the deer have hammered them harder than ever this year. Most have been dug out twice as deep as they were a year ago as they try to get the residual salt... I swear I think if I was still putting them out, I'd only do it ever other year!

Latest posts