Minerals

Volbuck777

I've put minerals out for 3 years on my place. Never been successful. I say that because I rarely get pictures on my sites I've had them in many different spots. I'm not saying deer don't use them but it's rare. I've done sites in other counties, states, or whatever and the deer have dug out stumps and made holes that you could nearly disappear in. I've tried all sorts of blocks, powder, I've raked in with dirt, I've put on stumps and bare spots. What am I doing wrong. I know it's looked down upon but they kill the corn. Pictures daily. By the way I've never had a big buck on a mineral site here in the few pictures I do get.

BSK

One problem may be that your using minerals. Deer do not like the taste of minerals. They are usually very bitter. Just go with salt. Salt is what the deer are after.

Now potentially, deer are finding salt from another location. Perhaps a natural salt lick nearby. That would certainly reduce the desire for it. At the same time, I've seen individual deer hit multiple salt licks in an area.

Volbuck777

Thanks For replying BSK. I always mix salt in with my minerals. Like you said though, maybe they're getting enough elsewhere but I've got the run of nearly 500 acres with salt/mineral licks throughout and it's near impossible to find deer on them. I'd just like to get one site that is well established. It's always been a head scratcher for me, seeing as how they've been so beneficial in other areas I've hunted.not saying others don't put salt out but besides the cattle farm down the road I don't know where any are.

Ski

I once heard it explained that putting mineral where the dirt composition is unpalatable is akin to putting mustard on a jelly sandwich, and deer won't touch it because it tastes bad. I don't know the validity but I've never heard a better explanation. I've experienced exactly what you describe and it's a head scratcher. On my spot here in TN I put two mineral sites out, one of which was down on the flood plane about 60yds from the creek. Deer are constantly on the one up high but completely avoid the one down low, even though their trail brings them within inches of it. Same mineral, same set-up, just different dirt under it.

Volbuck777

I once heard it explained that putting mineral where the dirt composition is unpalatable is akin to putting mustard on a jelly sandwich, and deer won't touch it because it tastes bad. I don't know the validity but I've never heard a better explanation. I've experienced exactly what you describe and it's a head scratcher. On my spot here in TN I put two mineral sites out, one of which was down on the flood plane about 60yds from the creek. Deer are constantly on the one up high but completely avoid the one down low, even though their trail brings them within inches of it. Same mineral, same set-up, just different dirt under it.
Wow, that is something to think about. Thanks

BSK

I once heard it explained that putting mineral where the dirt composition is unpalatable is akin to putting mustard on a jelly sandwich, and deer won't touch it because it tastes bad.
Very possible. I've seen deer pound one salt lick, yet walk right past another of the same composition on the same property. Maybe it's the dirt underneath. I know I've always had the best luck with new salt licks if I look for a patch of red clay. Usually that means an upended tree. When the root-wad pulls up, it often exposed a patch of red clay.

backyardtndeer

No longer supposed to use minerals in this county due to cwd high risk.

That said, deer cain and trophy rocks do very well for establishing new mineral sites. Some places deer get more minerals naturally and they may not use them as heavy. Helps to have a water source within a fairly close distance.

Shanman

Have had good luck with a heavy clay base, sites they didn't hit were low with more of a dark loose soil. Thinking the clay holds the mix better, instead of leaching deeper into the soil during a rain. Like backyardtndeer stated, the cain or rock are both great for establishing a site. I just use 1/4 of a rock for starters, 1 rock starts 4 sites. Add your mix later.

BSK

Have had good luck with a heavy clay base, sites they didn't hit were low with more of a dark loose soil. Thinking the clay holds the mix better, instead of leaching deeper into the soil during a rain.
It's actually a chemical reaction. The soil is red because of the amount of iron oxide, which holds salt exceptionally well.

CrossVolle

5 gallon buckets.... 1/3 salt, 1/3 trace minerals, 1/3 dicalcium phosphate. Replenished mine saturday and the cell cam was dinging before dark. Took the SD camera down that had been on the site and it had 3100 pictures since April. This is also in East Tennessee in a low deer density area. I'm thinking i may have to replenish one more time at the end of the month with as hard as they are hitting it.

trout

I would agree with red clay soil being essential. Over the last 10 years, I have experimented with minerals that now include dicalcium phosphate and then mixing in a trace mineral salt 50/50. I have seen healthy does and some better racks.

Volbuck777

I would agree with red clay soil being essential. Over the last 10 years, I have experimented with minerals that now include dicalcium phosphate and then mixing in a trace mineral salt 50/50. I have seen healthy does and some better racks.
Hey trout, thanks for the reply. Good to have you aboard by the way. I see this is your first post. Where you call home.

TN Whitetail Freak

Volbuck I run minerals in the hills of one county and an the river bottom flood plains in a few other counties. The deer in the river Bottoms absolutely hammer standard TSC mineral but in the hills they do not hit it very well. My theory is the deer in the river Bottoms don't have much salt in the earth where the hill ground does and transmits that through the vegetation they eat. Ima assuming you probably are in hill country where rock and salt is heavier.

Volbuck777

Volbuck I run minerals in the hills of one county and an the river bottom flood plains in a few other counties. The deer in the river Bottoms absolutely hammer standard TSC mineral but in the hills they do not hit it very well. My theory is the deer in the river Bottoms don't have much salt in the earth where the hill ground does and transmits that through the vegetation they eat. Ima assuming you probably are in hill country where rock and salt is heavier.
I'm definitely in hill country, more like mountain. I don't know much about what ground has better minerals compared to others but this ground is slate rock and you'll be lucky to dig a foot before hitting it.

TN Whitetail Freak

I'm definitely in hill country, more like mountain. I don't know much about what ground has better minerals compared to others but this ground is slate rock and you'll be lucky to dig a foot before hitting it.
I think that is why the deer aren't hitting it then. They don't have to as much because they're getting it elsewhere (in vegetation)

Latest posts