Milan Volunteer Training Area

sgmkray1963

Does anyone have any info on TA2? Not looking for a honey hole just a place to start. I will be there for the scout days but 3 days isn't a lot of time to figure out 700 acres.

I have seen a lot of sign where I added red marker. Not sure what's planted there if anything this year.
IMG_1853.png

DwayneC

I currently work at the Milan Training Site and will be the individual you receive your safety briefings from here as well. In reference to the boundary question in relation to the Gun/Archery areas, as depicted on the zone maps, it is as posted, Archery on the outside boundaries with Muzzleloader in the areas of the bunkers. All bunkers are now empty as of 2021. Some if not most of these areas listed on the map are larger than 1,000 acres of hunting. Hope this info helps for any of those coming to hunt this year.
I got drawn for 13 c early october do you have any recommendations on the area

I was drawn for TA14 1/2/24-1/4/24. My scouting dates show 12/12/23-12/14/23. Dows anybody know if the roads will be accessible or do you have to walk from the main entrances. I have only been by there once and put in this year as a shot in the dark.

dwallace33

I was drawn for TA14 1/2/24-1/4/24. My scouting dates show 12/12/23-12/14/23. Dows anybody know if the roads will be accessible or do you have to walk from the main entrances. I have only been by there once and put in this year as a shot in the dark.
As part of our safety brief that you'll be receiving, all "hard ball/paved roads" will be accessible to hunting. Gravel roads will be off limits to travel. It would be quite a trek to park at the main entrance and walks several miles into the area of your respective hunts. Although you will need to physically sign in on the days of your hunts.

Guess we will just have to see on scouting day. I was just wondering if we'd be able to access the cut through roads where the bunkers are. I'd assume you'd atleast be able to park on blacktop and walk the gravel to access the center of the hunting zone. Do you know when we are suppose to get these packets?

dwallace33

The bunker roads are paved/hard ball roads for a majority of the areas available. Keep in mind we do have cattle on the property where bunkers are located, so if a gate is opened it will need to be shut behind you as well.

sgmkray1963

The bunker roads are paved/hard ball roads for a majority of the areas available. Keep in mind we do have cattle on the property where bunkers are located, so if a gate is opened it will need to be shut behind you as well.
Not sure how they will do it, but when Milan arsenal controlled it you could only drive perimeter road around that zone.

Andy S.

As part of our safety brief that you'll be receiving, all "hard ball/paved roads" will be accessible to hunting. Gravel roads will be off limits to travel. It would be quite a trek to park at the main entrance and walks several miles into the area of your respective hunts. Although you will need to physically sign in on the days of your hunts.
Thanks for this information, much appreciated. Was the "mandatory" safety briefing "outside of hunt dates" ever mentioned/conveyed to quota hunt applicants before they applied for the hunts and used their preference points? I have looked and looked and cannot find anything mentioned anywhere. I suspect coming to Milan "during the work week" for a mandatory safety briefing on a day other than true hunt dates is going to be hardship for some hunters, especially those who live further away. An option for the mandatory briefing on day one of each three day hunt would likely help some of them out. Food for thought.

slickwater1

I am terribly excited about my hunt. I think it will be tough, lots of ground to cover and most people including myself will be unfamiliar with the terrain. I am going to go get a very general layout on my scout days, but don't plan on walking my entire unit. I am in the thought of less is more, and will sit and just be patient. Hoping to see some deer activity regardless of how good or bad. One thing I really have a hard time with is sitting and not having confidence that I will see some sort of movment.

I am terribly excited about my hunt. I think it will be tough, lots of ground to cover and most people including myself will be unfamiliar with the terrain. I am going to go get a very general layout on my scout days, but don't plan on walking my entire unit. I am in the thought of less is more, and will sit and just be patient. Hoping to see some deer activity regardless of how good or bad. One thing I really have a hard time with is sitting and not having confidence that I will see some sort of movment.
When and what unit did you draw?

dwallace33

For those of you that are attending the briefing next week 18-22 September, once you arrive you'll need to come in on the Lavinia side. The gate is located on the road next to Drifter's Diner "Gate 1". You'll follow the orange cones that will have signs attached for directions. Park in the gravel parking lot and sign in with either myself (SSG Dustin Wallace) or Jenna Garrett. We will conduct the briefings, give you the necessary gate codes for your specific hunt dates, and answer any questions that we can.

RxHunter

For those of you that are attending the briefing next week 18-22 September, once you arrive you'll need to come in on the Lavinia side. The gate is located on the road next to Drifter's Diner "Gate 1". You'll follow the orange cones that will have signs attached for directions. Park in the gravel parking lot and sign in with either myself (SSG Dustin Wallace) or Jenna Garrett. We will conduct the briefings, give you the necessary gate codes for your specific hunt dates, and answer any questions that we can.
Thanks for passing along the information.

Are there specific times for these briefings and how long will they last? I got an email from TWRA a few weeks ago but the details were not specific.

Will we be able to use the Graball gate at all during the scout dates?

dwallace33

Thanks for passing along the information.

Are there specific times for these briefings and how long will they last? I got an email from TWRA a few weeks ago but the details were not specific.

Will we be able to use the Graball gate at all during the scout dates?
Graball gate will be used on the actual hunt dates, no entry on scouting days.

Briefings will start at 7:00 AM, with a brief every hour afterward until 3:00 PM.

are we suppose to get an email or letter about this I have talked to several people that have no idea about this briefing? Where do we go to get info or who do we call?

dwallace33

are we suppose to get an email or letter about this I have talked to several people that have no idea about this briefing? Where do we go to get info or who do we call?
I'm not exactly sure what the TWRA has emailed out to everyone, but without briefing attendance, you will not have any access to the Milan Training Site during hunting days.

At the briefings we will be issuing out gate codes for entry through the Graball Gate (across from Milan Lowes) for your specific hunt dates as these codes are only active for specific timeframes. Gates will be closed otherwise.

Antler Daddy

No offense, but glad I did not apply for this hunt. I attended the old safety briefings.

With empty bunkers, it would seem to me that a safety briefing could be best administered by a PPT movie and an easy test from a person's home. There are some other govt. facilities that do it. That would be my suggestion for the future...and make sure people know they have to take the safety briefing prior to applying. And, get rid of the archery area only outside the fence....makes zero sense.