Met a member yesterday!

TNDeerGuy

I had the pleasure of meeting RickyM yesterday at the ASA shoot in Metropolis, IL! It was nice meeting you and being able to put a face with the same. Unfortunately, it was just for a few minutes but hopefully one day we can be on the same stake.

Rickym

It's was great to meet you also buddy! Wish we could have had more time to talk, but hopefully 1 day we will get to meet up again. We sure had some awesome weather. Oh yeah I sucked again the 2 round too. Haha!

TNDeerGuy

HA! :) I know what you mean! Too bad your first time back in a couple of years was one of the longest/toughest layouts I've seen! I had a Senior Pro friend say that our course was far tougher than their course was. :)

Crow Terminator

I thought you fellas shot Open C? The top 30 all shot 20+ up. 38 up won. If it was tough, then there were a bunch more than usual that brought their A game. Last yr at all the shoots I went to, if you shot 20 something up, you would be in the top 10, if not on the podium. I hope by next yr I will have my house done and will be able to attend one or two. This yr has about killed me not being able to go shoot any of them.

Rickym

Crow Terminator":3etyygoo said:
I thought you fellas shot Open C? The top 30 all shot 20+ up. 38 up won. If it was tough, then there were a bunch more than usual that brought their A game. Last yr at all the shoots I went to, if you shot 20 something up, you would be in the top 10, if not on the podium. I hope by next yr I will have my house done and will be able to attend one or two. This yr has about killed me not being able to go shoot any of them.

46 up won ill asa open C last year with 23 shooters 20 up.

It was a very tough course this year though.

UTGrad

Crow Terminator":3qhapvo1 said:

Sweet Avatar Crow!!

TNDeerGuy

OC has definately changed, especially since they changed the class to all known yardage--the class is full of people that can flat shoot! If you don't have 35-40 up in your bag, you can forget getting on the podium. I remember the days where 20 up would put you in contention for the podium, but what else do you expect when only 80 people are shooting in the class and now the class averages 225 per shoot.

Crow Terminator

It still has a $400 immediate win out though so nobody can really stay in the class and keep whoopin up on everybody. There are some good shooters in it though; a lot of them that really don't belong in it.

I can't remember my final score last yr at the ASA Tuscaloosa shoot...seems like it was 22 or 24 up but I did finish 3rd with it. I know I shot a higher score at the Kentucky shoot and barely cracked the top 15. I missed winning out of Open C by like $4 which was a big disappointment. I've also missed shooting this yr for sure. Maybe next yr.

TNDeerGuy

Treestand Troubadour":2g0hqja8 said:
TNDeerGuy":2g0hqja8 said:
Treestand Troubadour":2g0hqja8 said:
So this might be dumb but how do those shoots work? What's the layout and how's the.points work?
Do you go to any local shoots?
no I haven't been to any

Okay then.....you need to go! :)

Honestly, it is nothing more than just having some buddies come over for a backyard shooting session—it really is just like that! At the local level, you and your group (friends you come with or people you get grouped with if your alone or they need to get a single or couple slid in somewhere) will go out shoot a target, write down the score and then go to the next target. It really is just like that....really informal, but yet a little structured and the most fun thing you can do in the sport of archery! At the national level, it is still informal but everything is just magnified because you may have 1,800 people shooting in 26 different classes, versus the local level where most clubs will see 50-100 people a day. You may have 100-200 people on the same twenty target range: you shoot, write down the scores and go 30yds to the next target and so on.

Honestly though, I have met some of the best people in the world at the national events and at the local events—many of them have became my closest friends. Regardless of where you are at, local or national shoots, "stake" talk as I call it (the group you are shooting with) is the same—you laugh, cut up and just have a great time. Local shoots are a little better because everyone knows everyone and the laughing flows a little easier because of that, but at the national level it is often like that as you are with people that share the same passion and mindset. However, you may encounter "that guy/gal" that thinks they are the next Levi Morgan or Reo Wilde and is all serious about it, but that type is very rare—most of us (98%) are realistic and accept the fact that we will not be the next World Champion. However, all of us are serious about it and love to compete and learn something from each other—that is why we do it. The ultimate goal for most is to become better archers and have a blast while doing it. Even though I've been slinging arrows for over 30 years now, I still learn or get ideas all the time at these national and local shoots.

Will it make you a better archer? You better believe it will! Most backyard guys that start picking up a bow in late July or early August to get ready for deer season, and I was one of them, are completely satisfied a softball sized group at 30yds—that's enough to kill any deer. However, when your trying to hit something the size of a quarter at 40yds, consistently, it takes a degree of skill, both mental and physical and finely tuned equipment— all which will be honed by competitive shooting and the information you gather while doing so.

Check your local area for shoots—we are lucky here in TN, especially Mid-TN, as archery shoots are a dime a dozen!

Treestand Troubadour

Thanks tndeerguy! I need to look into some more organized shoots. I got buddies that come over all the time and shoot but about as competitive as we get is either makin shots for a dollar or playin horse

Latest posts