Meat processing

FULLDRAWXX75

Eliminate the guess work...............do it yourself. It is not that difficult and you know exactly what you got in your freezer.

FDXX75

I have never, nor will I ever have one processed. I have dropped a few off for someone else. When you walk in and there is a 4ft pile of deer laying in a heep, blood running everywhere and one guy running piece after piece through the same bloody saw...................I think not.

Who knows where the other meat was or how long it was dead.

johnson

I have processed my own in the past but am have more and more trouble finding pork trimmings to make my sausage with. I have about 80lbs. of elk meat from two weeks ago and cant find anyone that will process elk for jalepeno and cheese summer sausage.

FULLDRAWXX75

I get all my trimmings from my local butcher shop, either call ahead and have them grind the scrap or pick it up bulk and grind my own and mix it at home.

I stuff all my own sausage and keilbasa also. It is work, but I know what I am eating.

FDXX75

PS: Most major grocery stores have line to the butcher section, most are more than glad to grind scrape or sell it bulk.

LCU

Fulldraw is correct, and you guessed it Johnson.

The last time I took a deer to a processor,it was so gamey, I could not eat it. That was a few years ago.

I butcher all my own. I shoot tender does, trim well,foodsaver,and into my freezer.

No way it get's any better than that.
I had some hands on lessons of how to butcher by muscle groups,and it's not difficult.

I have to final trim and bag my kill from Saturday when I get home tonight.
It's work,but IMO it more than worth the time to do it right.

If you have never done one yourself, you may not know how much of a difference it is in quality and taste.
All you need is a small knife,and a FS machine from Wal-Mart.

A.K.A.

I butcher all my own. I shoot tender does, trim well,foodsaver,and into my freezer.

Where do you chill yours? Can you quarter one BEFORE it's chilled?

rldel

johnson said:
I have heard from several fellow hunters that the deer you get back from the processor is not the deer you put in. Any Comments?

Depends on who the processor is. Do it yourself and remove all doubt. It is getting about that time of the year where you can do it if you are fast @ deboning.

jeff

Yes you can quarter it first,lots of guys skin them out and quarter them up and put it in a cooler and cover with Ice,just leave the drian open at the bottom so the bloody water will drian out,and keep plenty of ice on it.

ZC ETN said:

Where do you chill yours? Can you quarter one BEFORE it's chilled?

JimFromTN

I don't know if you get your deer back or not. I do know that they throw away allot of your meat because it takes a long time for them to deal with. I had a processor say that if they could not butcher a deer in 20 minutes then they were losing money.

I butcher all my own deer unless I don't have time and those times that I don't have time, I usually regret. I hate processor cuts. As for chilling/hanging, I don't bother. I usually have the deer processed and in the freezer within 24 hours of killing it. If I don't have time to finish butchering the deer that day, I will take all the meat off the bone and put it in large covered pots in the frig overnight so I guess that counts as chilling.

UTGrad

I took my deer to Lebanon locker last year and started to wonder the same thing. Was I actually eating the deer I killed. There is no way I could process my own at the house, I don't have the space, resources, nor the wife that would stomach it. You can't hang a deer in the backyard here in Franklin, TN in our subdivision. The Home Owner's Association would go nuts. I am going to take mine to Flowers this year.

Chaser0407

johnson said:
I have heard from several fellow hunters that the deer you get back from the processor is not the deer you put in. Any Comments?
That is exactly why I do all my own. I just do not trust any processor anywhere. Besides it's not difficult.

BigGame

We took two deer to a processor a few years ago. One weighed forty more lbs than the other and we both got back forty two lbs of meat. I dont know if we got the same deer back but I know we didnt get all of it back.

cbcs1987

I think its best to do it yourself....and free. Just cut it up at deer camp after you kill it, and put it in a cooler with plenty of ice. Then when you get home pack it up n freeze it. I dont ever hang mine in a freezer or do any of that stuff n mine seem to always taste fine.

fishboy1

UTGrad said:
I took my deer to Lebanon locker last year and started to wonder the same thing. Was I actually eating the deer I killed. There is no way I could process my own at the house, I don't have the space, resources, nor the wife that would stomach it. You can't hang a deer in the backyard here in Franklin, TN in our subdivision. The Home Owner's Association would go nuts. I am going to take mine to Flowers this year.

same problem living in town. I got tired of dragging deer up mountains only to have to wait until cover of darkness to skin and process my deer. Now I have a backpack, gambrel, hoist extra rope and knives in my truck. When I kill a deer I tote my stand back to the truck and get the backpack. I can skin/debone my deer on site in about 30 minutes. Put the meat in unscented garbage bags and stuff in the back pack. All I am carrying out is the good stuff and a small bag with proof of sex and kill tag. The meat goes in a cooler back at the truck and it gets iced down at the check station/store.

Im a big fan of the 3 day ice bath. Layer plenty of ice in a good sized cooler with your deer and drain the next morning and add more ice. Tender and helps get rid of any possible gamey taste.

stik

i did my 1st one myself and will gladly pay somebody else to do it. with the guy i am using, i know i am getting my deer.

JA1234

just a hair or two north of the [censored] hole
stik said:
i did my 1st one myself and will gladly pay somebody else to do it. with the guy i am using, i know i am getting my deer.

I just finished my first one and I will never give one to another processor..as long as my links turn out good...burger and sausage was easy and steaks were very easy...

Big alu pans for quarters and a good knife and cutting board for trimming made mine a snap to do..food saver is old and about had it so I will replace it tomorrow and be good to go.

Latest posts