meat for jerky

TNReb

In the past I've always taken my deer to a processor and got plenty of summer sausage and all sorts of other stuff. I'll do that with one or two this year... but I would like to have one deer for jerky.

I don't want to pay the high prices at the processor for that. I'd just assume make my own. I have no problems skinning and quartering a deer, but I've never really taken it beyond that (I've always just given the quarters to people who asked for them).

Anyone have a video link to a demonstration of getting the ideal cuts of meat for jerky? I'm assuming the hind quarters are best, but I don't want to just start cutting stuff in to strips and hoping it works out ok. (or should I?)

JMcB

I debone the hind quarter, remove all the silver skin and slice thin across the grain w/ a filet knife.

DaveB

I used to think a dehydrator was for people with dull knives. No longer. I just literally finished cutting up a smallish deer. Got so tired of silver skin I just chunked it into the grinder. The grinder doesn't like it very much, winds it around the shaft but it is easy to clean. Anyway. Everything but the backstraps are now jerky. There wasn't much of the deer left besides bones, i was picking teeny pieces off the carcass.

Do yourself a favor. Get a grinder and a dehydrator. Jerky is pretty good and I used a recipe from Poser, it came out pretty doggone good. Almost as good as mine :D

TNReb

For those who use ground meat.. how does the jerky come out? Is it not crumbly? I like mine fairly tough.

Born and Raised

Snowball said:
Ground jerky is not too good IMO, but to each his own

It is if you do it right. You can't just grind it, marinate and dehydrate to get it tasting right IMO. Grind it with bacon or pork fat, some fresh jalapeno, season it, cure it and smoke it.

Born and Raised

lung-buster said:
I ground mine, added spices and dales marinade, mixed it and ground it again. Shot it out of the jerky gun. It was about the best I've ever made.

The 2nd grind is the ticket

Latest posts