Man dies after tree stand accident at Cheatham WMA

Heath423

2-Step Enabled
Sad story for sure. I hope your brother has a change of heart.

I use a harness and dropped the bottom of a climber 2 years ago when I was about 12' up (and climbing). Even though I was harnessed and both top and bottom section of climber were tied together it was not a fun experience. It felt like 15 minutes as I got the platform back underneath me but in reality was probably 90 seconds.
Yes, I've had a similar experience as that also. I have been encouraging him to get/wear one for a couple years now. I even forwarded him the story pertaining to this thread. I think it is slowly sinking in with him but I'm afraid he will need a close call for it to hit. And if so, I hope it is only a "near miss".

Chucklee338

2-Step Enabled
When I was young and bullet proof, I didn't wear a safety harness at all. As I got older and wiser I understood how foolish that was. About 3 years ago, a stand I was in had a strap break and my harness saved me from a 22 ft. fall. They work. Now I never climb without a lifeline and harness from the ground up and back down. I do not want to be Injured or killed to save a little time. It's just not worth it to me. Once you get used to using them, it's not an issue at all.

Safari Hunt

A friend told a story about an avid hunter who fell from a tree stand. Seems it was the first and only time he didn't wear his harness. As a result of the fall, he suffered a traumatic brain injury that caused a severe stroke. Now he is confined to a wheelchair with only the use of his left arm.
Chucklee338, good testimonal on the use of the harness. There is even a rig that allows you to lower yourself to the ground. I'll see if I can find it.

rem270

So sad :(. I can't figure out why anyone won't wear a harness. I am guilty sometimes when hunting a ladder stand not having it on but always in a climber or hang on. I hate to hear these kind of stories.

Roadracer6

Just to add to the obvious safety factor here, please wear your orange. I hunt primarily public land and run cameras in multiple areas and not a single "human" captured on camera had a hint of orange on. I get you don't want to give your spot up, but please use common sense.

rmmonty32

shelbydeer

I had a scare last year , was in my climber and decided to climb the slickest tree in the woods, on my way up maybe 15ft and in the pitch dark my bottom starts sliding , my harness catches me and I was able to retrieve my bottim piece. Scary feeling for sure

Rakkin6

Sad story for sure. I hope your brother has a change of heart.

I use a harness and dropped the bottom of a climber 2 years ago when I was about 12' up (and climbing). Even though I was harnessed and both top and bottom section of climber were tied together it was not a fun experience. It felt like 15 minutes as I got the platform back underneath me but in reality was probably 90 seconds.
I had my platform fall before also, super scary. I always wear a harness and I send my wife a pin on google maps where I will be hunting. Just in case something happens. I like to hunt high usually 25' if I can and I don't want to be hanging there forever.

Safari Hunt

Thanks for sharing that. I didnt know that existed. I will be looking into getting one.
You are most welcome. A close friend was scouting and hanging his climbing stand just before archery season. The bottom part dropped to the ground. Fortunately, he had on enough clothes to form a rope to climb down. When he got on the ground, in his skivvies, his buddy was rolling on the ground with laughter. He was able to stifle it while the guy was climbing down.

Mag

2-Step Enabled
Sad story. Makes me think of my brother who I cannot convince to wear a harness. He uses a climber.
I used to hunt with a guy who had the same attitude. I let him know that I wasn't dragging his butt out of the woods if he fell.

Mag

2-Step Enabled
My Wife and I have three ladder stands set up ay a buddy's place and I put up straps with heavy duty threaded quick links attached. Once up we snap in out harness.

Hunter 257W

I say forget the harness and keep your feet on the ground. You won't kill as many deer but what deer is worth crippling yourself for? The only elevated stand I use now is a shooting house that I access with a band director's ladder with double hand rails and the steps have sandpaper glued to them. I'm not keen on falling.

Latest posts