Looks like KY is on top of it

dovahkiin

yeah ky has there stuff together, i have been exploring/scouting the mountains in wayne county and mccuary county since they decided to open season up there. good job ky.

fredfred

What he posted is just a proposal. Did they pass it? TWRA proposed a season in Fentress county and it was shot down. I don't see the problem.

PickettSFHunter

The TWRA did not propose a season. Citizens requested one, TWRA recommended against it and TWRC shot it down. KDFWR has actually proposed a season, meaning they recommend it, and from what I can find it is pending approval. Recommendations generally pass. According to the KY hunting guide, only residents of KY can hunt bear, I just skimmed through it. What doesnt make sense about all of it, whether you support a season here or not, is this... we hunters wont be allowed to kill any, but anybody with a crop that bears like has a nuisance permit or is killing them without permit. So in essence, the bears are being killed anyway, its just not hunters that are getting that opportunity. I would prefer hunters have that oppurtunity.

PickettSFHunter

fredfred said:
Any idea how many have been killed by permit? How many have you killed on your permit?
Good question, I dont know but I wish I did. I just know several people that have them, but dont know exactly how many people do. Fortunately I havent had to kill any, I dont want to kill one that way but will if I have to. The problem bear I had in the Spring has since moved on. I still have numerous bears on my place regulary but they arent causing issues so they get a pass.

fredfred

That's good to hear. The TWRA personal that I have talked to are in favor of a limited season. The TWRC is not. I think KY is going about in the right way. 10 bears or 5 female limit. Call in everyday until the limit is met, November 23 � December 1, 2013. I think the dates are a little early. Make it later and most of the pregnant female will be in there dens.

PickettSFHunter

I totally agree. Start conservative and see where your at, makes good sense. TWRA people Ive talked to are also in support but obviously the right people dont support it or they would have recommended it to the TWRC.

fredfred

Don't take it personally but I still am not in favor of a season, but If there has to be one then I hope they take it nice and slow. I would hate to see them over hunted just when they are starting to be here in numbers.

PickettSFHunter

Another thing I noticed in the KY deal, the Big South Fork is not included in the hunt. So there goes most of the public land opportunities, because I would think it would go the same way for us. That leaves Pickett State Forest and Scott State Forest, that I can think of, at least in the core bear area. Be glad to have private land.

TheLBLman

You know, if every bear "outside" the Big South Fork was considered legal game during the regular deer season, there would likely remain a viable bear population going in the Big South Fork.

There's good reason why many large predators were very purposely eliminated or reduced in numbers from Tennessee and Kentucky over 100 years ago: Many large predators generally don't mix well with humans on a day-to-day basis, and that includes the humans in rural areas.

Call me crazy, but I'm perfectly fine with no bears outside BSF, and only a few within. They are not endangered, and we have a surplus for your viewing pleasure in the Smokies. Outside a few uninhabited by humans areas, I believe it's a mistake to be purposefully building up and expanding bear populations. Just allow hunters to take them incidentally outside places like BSF, and hopefully these bears will retain some natural fear of man.

I realize there's more reason not to re-introduce some other large animals which once freely roamed across Kentucky & Tennessee, but it's only to a little lesser degree of problems to people that bears are being re-introduced, while we're not re-introducing free-roaming bison and timber wolves. There's a place for all these, but "protected" to free-roam private property even in say Cumberland or Fentress Counties?

Kudos to the KDFWR for their proposal.

dovahkiin

Wes Parrish said:
You know, if every bear "outside" the Big South Fork was considered legal game during the regular deer season, there would likely remain a viable bear population going in the Big South Fork.

There's good reason why many large predators were very purposely eliminated or reduced in numbers from Tennessee and Kentucky over 100 years ago: Many large predators generally don't mix well with humans on a day-to-day basis, and that includes the humans in rural areas.

Call me crazy, but I'm perfectly fine with no bears outside BSF, and only a few within. They are not endangered, and we have a surplus for your viewing pleasure in the Smokies. Outside a few uninhabited by humans areas, I believe it's a mistake to be purposefully building up and expanding bear populations. Just allow hunters to take them incidentally outside places like BSF, and hopefully these bears will retain some natural fear of man.

I realize there's more reason not to re-introduce some other large animals which once freely roamed across Kentucky & Tennessee, but it's only to a little lesser degree of problems to people that bears are being re-introduced, while we're not re-introducing free-roaming bison and timber wolves. There's a place for all these, but "protected" to free-roam private property even in say Cumberland or Fentress Counties?

Kudos to the KDFWR for their proposal.

agreed

fredfred

The reason they were eliminated years ago was for the hides. Black bear are not considered predators ether. 85% of the black bear's diet consists of vegetation. They will how ever feed on very young or sick/weak animals if given an easy opportunity and carrion

TheLBLman

fredfred said:
Black bear are not considered predators ether. 85% of the black bear's diet consists of vegetation.
On an annual basis, I'm sure most of the black bear's diet consists of vegetation. But they are predators, and they can be very good at preying on deer fawns. In some studies, black bear have consumed a majority of the deer fawns born each year. I'd describe a black bear as being much like a gigantic raccoon, the main difference being the black bear is able to prey on larger animals, sometimes including humans.

Doskil

There is little room left for bears in modern America.

Not really sure why the TWRA wants bear populations to expand?

Latest posts