Looks like time for NR to start using their PP's...

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I read the comments and some of the brought up what I always thought about Federal land. Why do the states dictate how much I pay to hunt lands I'm taxed on. The residents and I pay the same federal tax rate and we should have equal access to the federal land we pay for.

Buzzard Breath

I read the comments and some of the brought up what I always thought about Federal land. Why do the states dictate how much I pay to hunt lands I'm taxed on. The residents and I pay the same federal tax rate and we should have equal access to the federal land we pay for.
It's because the animals that are on the land are managed by the state. If you want to just hike on the land, it costs the same. Once you start hunting or fishing, it changes the game.

AT Hiker

This similar proposed system (allocating majority of NR tags to outfitted hunters with only 2% going to nonresident unguided hunters is why I no longer apply for NM tags any longer.
At least NM is random and no point structure.
The WY tag allotment math is likely to work out that no random tags will be available, per the article sheep area 2 will now take 53 points for a current 22 years point holder…better start exercising and eating healthy.

Hduke86

Yup if you EVER wanted to head west to hunt backcountry style or big game in general I'd suggest picking a state with otc and enjoy it for the next few years cause it's going to spread to other states out west. I'd say the only hope we OOS hunters have is that it cuts out a ton of revenue and they will revise it down the road. Yes huge mulies and elk are great but if you have a chance at a unit or place with subpar standards then I suggest you go and enjoy the scenery and the experience before it's choked out also. I'm just waiting on @AT Hiker to get 10,000 acres of prime hunting land so I can be a "guest or a trespasser" lol

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I'm curious what will happen with their budgets. My thinking is if now you are selling the same amount of tags, but for far less money they will feel it.

trap55555

2-Step Enabled
As I understand it, this new WY law (90/10) does not apply to elk.... but I suspect it will be a discuss point in the future.

WY as with many other western states Game and Fish dept. derive a substantial amount of their budget from NR's license fees every year, so they will be cautious.

AT Hiker

As I understand it, this new WY law (90/10) does not apply to elk.... but I suspect it will be a discuss point in the future.

WY as with many other western states Game and Fish dept. derive a substantial amount of their budget from NR's license fees every year, so they will be cautious.
They tried to pass 90/10 for all species but failed, this one went through basically unopposed.

No doubt the other species will be up for debate. Honestly, the current point system is just not realistic. Not enough game to go around for the number of hunters.

As for funding. NR fork over a lot of coin for tags, no doubt, but the amount of money we spend on the overall hunt is astounding. Never mind guided hunts, just a DIY, where you enjoy yourself and don't act too frugal, puts a hurting on the wallet.

trap55555

2-Step Enabled
A big beef I have with WY is their Wilderness rule toward NRs. Pretty clear to me that this rule is from the guide/guide lobby within the state.

Let's assume that they are responsible (lobbied for) for the Wilderness rule toward NR's. It would seem to me that the purpose of the rule was to drive more NRs their way for business. Now the state is going in the direction to reduce NR tags. So my question is: Are the guide/guide lobby against the trend of less tags for NRs? I don't know the answer to this.... but I haven't spend any time looking for answer I admit.

arkwaterfowler

pressure on animals is the root cause but PP was doomed from the start for the WY big five. They needed somebody with some math skills on the committee when this was discussed 20 yrs ago. I've seen pressure drastically affect duck behavior in Arkansas over the last 30 years. I am happy we get to pursue white tail and long beards in this state they way we do. A quality western elk hunt is now $10 k and out of reach for a lot of folks. I don't know the answer.

Latest posts