Looks like KY is on top of it

AT Hiker

Doskil said:
There is little room left for bears in modern America.

Not really sure why the TWRA wants bear populations to expand?

I am not to worried about Black Bears, granted I am not to aware of their biological impact either (I am sure they do decimate the game population to an extent and cause some human related issues). But those darn "humpies" out West are crazy over populated. The grizzly population in Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks are out of control, plus they eat us too!

Actually I had someone tell me that the black bear population in GSMNP is close to 1 bear per square mile, even if it is 1/2 that it is waaaayyyyy to high. We need to hunt those things within the park, a bear sanctuary is useless if not manged correctly, so is any mis-managed wildlife sanctuary for that matter

I am not sure why that is way to high. No hunting should ever be allowed within the park excpet for intrusive animals like hogs and the gov. already culls them through cropping ( they cant stop them though). Bears will and are naturally expanding to the west into middle tennessee. Let it play out.

AT Hiker

barknoxbrawler said:
No hunting should ever be allowed within the park excpet for intrusive animals like hogs and the gov. already culls them through cropping

I dont think hunting should be "allowed" in a National Park per say, but hunting is an excellent tool to control a population. Each park is different and therefore should be dealt with differently. I think wolves and grizzlies should be hunted on a very controlled bases in Yellowstone, Tetons and Glacier so they become less reliant on humans. I also think Cades Cove deer should be controled and if the Black Bear population is or gets out of control in GSMNP they too should be hunted. What would you rather have, bears mauling humans and/or diseased and starved to death or a responsible hunter go in a ethically control the population, and the park get a good amount of $$ in the process.

A national parks are Americas best idea, its just sad we have to name something different just so we can do different things on them, i.e. National Recreation areas, National Forest...politically correctness has found its way into our National Parks too.

Doskil

Bears simply cause lots of damage around people.

They break into homes, cars, barns, gardens, sheds, ect.

Bears are fine in the national parks but not in the towns.

fredfred

AT Hiker said:
barknoxbrawler said:
No hunting should ever be allowed within the park excpet for intrusive animals like hogs and the gov. already culls them through cropping

I dont think hunting should be "allowed" in a National Park per say, but hunting is an excellent tool to control a population. Each park is different and therefore should be dealt with differently. I think wolves and grizzlies should be hunted on a very controlled bases in Yellowstone, Tetons and Glacier so they become less reliant on humans. I also think Cades Cove deer should be controled and if the Black Bear population is or gets out of control in GSMNP they too should be hunted. What would you rather have, bears mauling humans and/or diseased and starved to death or a responsible hunter go in a ethically control the population, and the park get a good amount of $$ in the process.

A national parks are Americas best idea, its just sad we have to name something different just so we can do different things on them, i.e. National Recreation areas, National Forest...politically correctness has found its way into our National Parks too.

Hunters kill a lot of Bear at GSMNP

fredfred

Doskil said:
Bears simply cause lots of damage around people.

They break into homes, cars, barns, gardens, sheds, ect.

Bears are fine in the national parks but not in the towns.

Kinda like Hood Rats :D

scn

fredfred said:
AT Hiker said:
barknoxbrawler said:

Not legally as ALL sport hunting is closed in the Park.

A lot of bears ARE killed right outside the Park.

fredfred

scn said:
fredfred said:
AT Hiker said:
barknoxbrawler said:

Not legally as ALL sport hunting is closed in the Park.

A lot of bears ARE killed right outside the Park.

My bad, I was referring to Cherokee National Forest

Latest posts