Looked at new potential lease today

Ridgeline300

Tagged out with not much to do. Not cold enough to waste my time hunting ducks which I do love to do. Tried fishing the other day but not in mood for that just yet but I'll hit that hard come February. So for now I'm getting a head start on next year. Scouting new public land area and always in the look out for a new private spot. This new spot is only 60 acres but it lays decent enough and sign every where, most sign I've seen in a while but nobody has hunted here in years the guy said. Multiple scrapes and rubs as big as my leg definitely got me excited. Trails in every direction looked like I-40. Only thing that concerns me are the deadheads. I found 3 and a shed. One head looked to be 2 years old, one was last years and one was just a month old and he was still putting off a pretty fowl odor. I'm gonna get it and see how it goes, I love hunting new spots and figuring them out.

Attachments

• IMG_4282.jpeg
    IMG_4282.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 8

rem270

New spots are always fun to try and figure out. I picked up a 60 acre spot to hunt in the summer. Did very little scouting but did put a stand up. Only hunted one time as I was focusing on another deer on my property.

Hope your new lease works out for you.

Bgoodman30

Tagged out with not much to do. Not cold enough to waste my time hunting ducks which I do love to do. Tried fishing the other day but not in mood for that just yet but I'll hit that hard come February. So for now I'm getting a head start on next year. Scouting new public land area and always in the look out for a new private spot. This new spot is only 60 acres but it lays decent enough and sign every where, most sign I've seen in a while but nobody has hunted here in years the guy said. Multiple scrapes and rubs as big as my leg definitely got me excited. Trails in every direction looked like I-40. Only thing that concerns me are the deadheads. I found 3 and a shed. One head looked to be 2 years old, one was last years and one was just a month old and he was still putting off a pretty fowl odor. I'm gonna get it and see how it goes, I love hunting new spots and figuring them out.

Probably has a lot of deadheads because no one is walking it and picking them up!

Volbuck777

I'd imagine if you've found 3 dead heads it's probably because someone is hunting it that probably shouldn't be. I hope I'm wrong but I've seen this exact thing before. Guy I know said he hadn't let nobody hunt his land in 20 years and he hadn't but man you should have seen the trespassers opening day. Found two dead deer my first walk in. Not trying to discourage you. I hope you can turn it around if that's the case. If not good luck with a new property.

Ridgeline300

I'd imagine if you've found 3 dead heads it's probably because someone is hunting it that probably shouldn't be. I hope I'm wrong but I've seen this exact thing before. Guy I know said he hadn't let nobody hunt his land in 20 years and he hadn't but man you should have seen the trespassers opening day. Found two dead deer my first walk in. Not trying to discourage you. I hope you can turn it around if that's the case. If not good luck with a new property.
I thought of that but not sure why you'd just leave them laying, especially the one because it was a dandy. And they were not hard to find so even if you were horrible at tracking you should have been able to find them. Either way we will see, if it winds up being horrible then no big deal. It is cheap enough and I have other spots to fall back on.

Jim Fred

Even finding a half decent private land lease nowadays is a win honestly, especially if it's in Middle TN. I've been looking for two years now and they are hard to come by. At least we have a good amount of public land nearby. Best of luck on the new spot!

Volbuck777

I thought of that but not sure why you'd just leave them laying, especially the one because it was a dandy. And they were not hard to find so even if you were horrible at tracking you should have been able to find them. Either way we will see, if it winds up being horrible then no big deal. It is cheap enough and I have other spots to fall back on.
Yes sir, totally agree. I don't believe they leave them lay as much as they just are terrible at tracking after the shot. It's a lost art. It's hard to bring other people or dogs in to help find your deer when you don't have permission in the first place. Just an opinion. Like I said I hope I'm wrong and I hope you get it and it becomes a honey hole.

Snake

Always excited about new territory, like a kid in a candy store . Hope it works out for you brother.

Latest posts