Log strikes with outboard motors

woodyard

Question....
I've got a 1548 G3, with a 25hp Yamaha 4 stroke. It has a lever that you can either lock the motor in the down position, or leave unlocked so it can tilt up. Is either position better for preventing this from happening?
Unlocked, just watch if you have a reverse gear.
I had a 25hp Merc that would be locked down if it was in neutral and when shifted into gear would be able to raise up when it hit something. Had a thing called a rock hopper that would bolt on in really low river water to the cavitation plate and cover the skeg. Going decently slow this allowed it to slide right over rocks. Used it in the gulf for oyster beds also.

woodyard

This reminds me of a boss I had one time that fished a bunch of tournaments, some with the big boys. He used to put on a motorcycle helmet and had one for his partner when they would run in low light conditions especially. I figured he was usually running wide open wherever. I know he basically blew up several of the big motors, 250s or bigger.

FLTENNHUNTER1

Crow's rule on the water...don't go faster than what you are willing to hit something. I'll get there when I get there.
LOL…don't tell me your 115 4 stroke isn't WOT every chance you get!!

Seriously though, with the wind we are having today I expect floating objects in the water will be a real concern for the next few days. And after researching this subject after never hearing about it it definitively changed my way of thinking.

Crow Terminator

LOL…don't tell me your 115 4 stroke isn't WOT every chance you get!!

Seriously though, with the wind we are having today I expect floating objects in the water will be a real concern for the next few days. And after researching this subject after never hearing about it it definitively changed my way of thinking.
You might be surprised! Any maybe even let down. I drive like an old man. Most of the time I'm within sight of the boat ramps and drive about 4-5 mph because I'm scanning with the sonar units. The rest of the time I'm on the trolling motor. I learned when I was kayak fishing, there's no need to go far to catch fish and got into the habit of just driving to the ramps closest to where I want to fish instead of doing it all by boat. My dad was the one who had to see what the boat could do WOT. Haha. I've had it 2 years and if you were to hook up to it for data, I bet it's only been above 4500 RPM maybe 3 times. I know I did have it wide open once when trying to beat a storm to the ramp 😆 I was wishing it had a 400R on the back of it that day.

jlanecr500

This may have already been posted.

I fish the clinch river in Clinton in the spring and hunt from it in the winter. I go slow when it's down and when running 2 or more generators. It'll really make you pucker when you're running 20 or 30mph and catch a glimpse of a tree trunk a few inches below the water as you pass by it.

TRIGGER

It'll really make you pucker when you're running 20 or 30mph and catch a glimpse of a tree trunk a few inches below the water as you pass by it.
I have had a few close calls over the years especially at night running around but the one that scared me the most I was running around 60 when all of the sudden I see a huge log laying sideways in front of me on the river (Cumberland). I braced for impact but nothing. It was a finger of light the slipped between some trees that discolored the water. Scared the snot out of me. Had to stop and regain my composure. Thought we were a goner.

Latest posts