Log strikes with outboard motors

FLTENNHUNTER1

http://www.propellersafety.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/outboard-flipped-warning3.jpg
1677746686904.png

JCDEERMAN

I've never heard of that happening either other than the posts on this the last week or so. And I grew up on the lake bass fishing tournaments with my dad - decades. I wonder if it has something to do with the newer stuff? That's terrifying

gasman

I've never heard of that happening either other than the posts on this the last week or so. And I grew up on the lake bass fishing tournaments with my dad - decades. I wonder if it has something to do with the newer stuff? That's terrifying
Newer equipment, lack of work ethics when installing motor to transom, could be a number of things related to modern times.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I have heard of it happening multiple times to people while duck hunting.
Almost happened to my son and I a few years ago.
Luckily the motor stayed on... by literally 1/4 of an inch.

m_allison71

2-Step Enabled

DeerWhisperer

In reviewing the "Leash" and after seeing the photo above of how it is attached. The question I have is how to you trim the motor up and down while the leash is attached.?

Is there enough flexibility in it that allows for trimming but at the same time prevent the motor from flipping if hitting an object?

Canyonfish

Newer equipment, lack of work ethics when installing motor to transom, could be a number of things related to modern times.
Another thought, transoms used to be fiberglass over wood, now only fiberglass. They don't rot, but wondering now if they are as strong? Plus motor sizes have steadily grown from 150's to 250's making them heavier.

Never seen this either. Heard of a few instances when fishing shallow Florida lakes, where someone would hit a gator, maybe manatee they would guess running wide open, and would destroy the lower unit or stress the transom.

FLTENNHUNTER1 Thanks for finding this and sharing for our safety considerations! 👍

Last edited:

Hduke86

On my first "fast" boat the older gentleman that fished with me all the time warned of this. Like @RUGER mentioned, it happened a good bit for duck hunters especially if running wide open in timber. I've never had my motor come off and into the boat but I've had it hit me so hard on my side that I thought I broke ribs. I'm surprised at the amount of people that have never heard of this kind of happening.

UCStandSitter

Never heard of this in all my years but I primarily fish Dale Hollow where there isn't a lot of junk so would be very uncommon. Center Hill on the other hand is a trashy lake. Partly why I hate fishing it. Too many waterfalls so there is junk everywhere.

Blackdog

I saw this for the first time when I worked at a boat dealership in Hermitage in the late 80's/early 90's. It was on a fish/ski (Nitro or Astro?), they had hit a submerged object and it ripped the transom out of the back of the boat, motor was laying on the passenger seat.

FLTENNHUNTER1

According to this it has been going on for decades with very few solutions. Check out the video from the 50's:

woodyard

One of my fishing buddies and his dad had the motor flip off or jump up off in the White River on one of our trips over there. He hit the gravel bottom and the motor jumped off the transom. I don't remember the size of the motor but it took three of us pulling on the battery cables to get it back up into the boat after they went into deep water. Probably 25-40 hp.
Got it up and water poured out and then back on. Started up and made the rest of the trip. It is wise to not run too fast sometimes unless you are really familiar with the area. I used to know a lot of those rocks by name.

BuckWild

Back in the mid 80's, my Dad and I were crappie fishing the logs and stumps in the mouth of the Duck River where it enters the Tennessee. We were fishing in 1.5 to 2 foot of water when we heard a bass boat running at high speed getting closer to us.

This fiberglass bass boat came running off the river and headed toward the flat about 300 yards from us when they hit whatever it was they hit. The outboard flew over the boat and the whole transom went with it.

When they stopped, the two guys got out of the boat and were standing in about a foot of water.
They seemed to be unhurt, slogging through the mud and Dad said " We should probably go help them, but they are so stupid, I really don't want to deal with them"

We kept on fishing...

Tenntrapper

Question....
I've got a 1548 G3, with a 25hp Yamaha 4 stroke. It has a lever that you can either lock the motor in the down position, or leave unlocked so it can tilt up. Is either position better for preventing this from happening?

gtk

Staff member
This fiberglass bass boat came running off the river and headed toward the flat about 300 yards from us when they hit whatever it was they hit. The outboard flew over the boat and the whole transom went with it.

When they stopped, the two guys got out of the boat and were standing in about a foot of water.
They seemed to be unhurt, slogging through the mud and Dad said " We should probably go help them, but they are so stupid, I really don't want to deal with them"
Sardis is entertaining when the river barely gets out of the banks around Wyatts/Hurricane. Seen many big rigs flying down the river only to miss a turn and come to a dead stop in about 1 ft of water

Latest posts