Great morning with the reds

7mm08

Wading the flats with a fly….. caught two slot reds and lost a stud of one on the take. He missed it and came back around to crush it. Snapped my 20# tippet. Black & purple crab fly . I had two looks on a gurgler as well.

Take your boots and waders if you are headed to the shore anytime soon. PS THE sound in the background is the HHI Coast Guard practicing in the inlet.

Attachments

• IMG_3052.jpeg
    IMG_3052.jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3054.mov
    51.6 MB

7mm08

I'm so chomping at the bit to start fall fishing... haven't been down to the coast in 5 weeks. Going this weekend, thinking about getting an air bnb so I can fish 2 days
Take your surf rod too! …… this afternoon on a whole frozen squid ! 40"! Obviously an outstanding day of fishing!!
IMG_7435.jpeg

bigquacks

Biggest ones i ever caught were in the marsh pools at low tide off the 18th green at Harbor Town golf course. That was many moons ago. Caught some monster flounder too, and enough crabs to feed an army.

TNReb

Awesome!

We went to Port Mansfield (Texas) and waded for them a couple years ago. It was a lot of fun.

7mm08

You're killing me! Im going to dauphin island next week to surf fish for three days and have no clue what im doing.
Ok, here's what I do.

I put a Sputnik weight on instead of a triangle weight. 4/0 to 6/0 circle hook…. Don't set just reel. 95% of the time hooked in the jaw and those fat girls will survive! Take a chair, cigar, tunes and when that rod goes to the ground…..magic.

Shrimp, mullet, squid.
1697842593159.jpeg

MidTennFisher

Good stuff! I love targeting redfish on the SC coast. I like HHI when I go on a family vacation but my favorite spot for just a hard core fishing trip is St Helena Island because there's a really nice campsite there called Tuck in the Woods. The campsite has a lot of woods around it and it's so peaceful. Plus I can drive to a few landings in less than 10 minutes from there.

I went a couple weeks ago and started out strong, then got the flu and had to come home early. On my first day of the trip I only fished from 2pm until about 6pm and caught 6 reds to get my two in the slot. The others were overslot. All sight casted.

Headed back this weekend to have a redo of that trip. I fish out of a kayak so I can get way up in those flats and we've got a full moon so I'll have all sorts of water to stalk tailing redfish in. It's an absolute riot sneaking up on them and then watching them eat your lures.

As a bonus, I toss a small cast net from my kayak to catch fresh shrimp. Some are used for bait at creekmouths on the falling tide, some are tossed in butter and Tony C's at camp for the freshest shrimp I've ever eaten.

Last edited:

7mm08

Good stuff! I love targeting redfish on the SC coast. I like HHI when I go on a family vacation but my favorite spot for just a hard core fishing trip is St Helena Island because there's a really nice campsite there called Tuck in the Woods. The campsite has a lot of woods around it and it's so peaceful. Plus I can drive to a few landings in less than 10 minutes from there.

I went a couple weeks ago and started out strong, then got the flu and had to come home early. On my first day of the trip I only fished from 2pm until about 6pm and caught 6 reds to get my two in the slot. The others were overslot. All sight casted.

Headed back this weekend to have a redo of that trip. I fish out of a kayak so I can get way up in those flats and we've got a full moon so I'll have all sorts of water to stalk tailing redfish in. It's an absolute riot sneaking up on them and then watching them eat your lures.

As a bonus, I toss a small cast net from my kayak to catch fresh shrimp. Some are used for bait at creekmouths on the falling tide, some are tossed in butter and Tony C's at camp for the freshest shrimp I've ever eaten.
Let me know when you're down here and maybe we can fish together…. Including wading or jumping in my Scout

I don't know that campground. Do you put in at Butch's landing and fish Harbor Island ?

Sent you a PM

Latest posts