Loading a deer in truck bed by yourself!

Hduke86

If he's just hunting in one place I would look on Craigslist and find an old swing set someone is tossing away and just take it out there and mount something on it like a boat trailer winch. Winch the deer up, drop tailgate, back under the deer and lower in the truck. Could also be used for skinning and processing.

JeepKuntry

I try to find a ditch. If not I use the tree attachment and lasso it around the deer and pull upward. Can be fun with 150-180lb bucks.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I've gone to using a hitch haul. Let's me use my Tahoe for more dry storage of gear than my truck.

I've used a hitch haul for years with my Sequoia but now use my truck. I find it easier to pull a deer into the truck bed than to load on the hitch haul due to the differences in angles and leverage. I can mainly use my leg muscles with less back when standing in the truck bed.

The hitch haul doesn't require as much strength though since I can tie off one end of the deer after getting it up on the edge and then roll and lift the other end.

I don't know if I'll be able to use either method when I'm 80 though.

K-dub

I've used my belt to drag em out and then like others have said, I use my belt or some sort of strap to tie the head to the tailgate cable by getting in the bed of the truck and pulling the head up as high as possible. I then get back out, grab the legs and roll it in.

Safari Hunt

My truck has 20 inch wheels. Had to buy step bumpers to get in. I do have a come-along that I could use. Just need to get a piece of plywood. Many ways to skin a cat or load a deer. Thanks to all for sharing their methods.
Edit: All I need now is a deer!

PalsPal

This was the best money I ever spent: https://www.vikingsl.com/l-e-vator/

After two hernias probably from loading up big IL deer, it was time to try something else. I used Lade's hangulator for skinning, but we never had it with us when it was time to load one. This Viking product makes it super easy, and it folds down to nothing. But, it looks like it is out of stock right now.

Saw a video on that. THAT thing is awesome, and may be an early birthday present for my dad!

GRIT

I have done the exact same thing in your video it will work.I use to bring a horseshoe stob just in case there is no tree like out in the middle of a field.

TNCharlie

This was the best money I ever spent: https://www.vikingsl.com/l-e-vator/

After two hernias probably from loading up big IL deer, it was time to try something else. I used Lade's hangulator for skinning, but we never had it with us when it was time to load one. This Viking product makes it super easy, and it folds down to nothing. But, it looks like it is out of stock right now.

The game hoist that someone suggested works well, but I have found the L-E-vator to be great. It comes in handy for lots of lifting tasks. I did replace the cable with rope. After a quick search it does appear to be out of stock in many places.

TNTreeman

I have a 4x4 post cut the width of my bed. Screwed chains to each end with a clevis attached to chain and fastened to the corner tie downs in back of my bed. Mounted a remote winch in the center and it'll pull them right up.

TNGRIZZLY_

2-Step Enabled
I have been using one for years, makes getting them up real easy. I originally got it to field dress and quarter my deer, but have since erected a permanent gambrel stand, but still use it to get it into the truck to get it there. I did have to weld together an extension piece on mine but it's mainly due to the gambrel I use, it's long.
fMkymIk.jpg
This is what I was thinking about buying or have one made

Omega

This is what I was thinking about buying or have one made
I was going to make one myself, but couldn't beat the ~$100 price tag at Rural King, to source the materials then do the welding would have put me well above that. I did, later, have to weld together an extension, but like I said above, it was an optional thing.

Tennessee Lead

I don't know if this would help him or not. I bought one after season last year to try this method with. I haven't had a chance to try it yet so the jury is still out

DeerCamp

I'm no help but I like the video. I had a block and tackle on my boat that I used to load alligators but I could secure it to my tower. I learned the hard way that one person is not capable of loading a 12 ft. gator into the boat. Luckily another hunter was nearby and offered their help.
How much would a gator like that weigh!?

nock

I use to load them by myself with no problems, now i find it easier to pull my 4 wheeler up beside the deer and get it up on my 4 wheeler then pull up beside my truck tailgate and slide it over to my tailgate

Terrier

The cheapest and easiest thing to do would be to drag it to a tree, toss a small 1/4" rope over a branch high enuf to do the trick, tie up a pulley with a 3/8" rope thru it, then haul the deer up, back the truck or ATV in place, and load it that way. I've done that numerous times.

Even easier is to have two double pulleys and a longer rope to make a block and tackle arrangement. I put one of those together with 1/4" rope, and it works great. The block and tackle just takes a little more finesse to keep it from tangling, but it definitely takes less effort to lift a deer with it.

If you need some direction on how to make up the block and tackle, PM me...

Latest posts