Lime

BHC

To spread lime or not. This late in the game, we will be planting around sept 1st. Plots have just been setting for 5+ years. So with no soil test I imagine the ph is well below ideal. Would you spread or wait? If you would spread, where can you get ag lime near Savannah, tn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickThompson

Pull a soil test so you know how much lime to add. You'l also know how much N P, and K your plot will need. Spread the lime ASAP. It's never a bad time to lime if the soil test calls for it. Sept 1st is plenty early for getting fall plots in. I seem to have my best success around the 7th-10th of Sept, and I am a good bit east and a little north of you.

Mike Belt

Without a soil test you can't go wrong adding about 2 tons/acre.

Just a quick refresher about liming in for those that may not know.... All the fertilizer in the world won't benefit whatever you're planting if the pH is off. Basically nitrogen is probably the number 1 ingredient for growth but if your pH isn't right the nitrogen in the soil will encapsulate itself and not release into the soil. Liming allows for the nitrogen to release thus benefiting the plant.

8 POINTS OR BETTER

BHC":2per1pbv said:
To spread lime or not. This late in the game, we will be planting around sept 1st. Plots have just been setting for 5+ years. So with no soil test I imagine the ph is well below ideal. Would you spread or wait? If you would spread, where can you get ag lime near Savannah, tn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get lime from Wayne Co. Rock and rent a spreader from the USDA office in Savannah.

Latest posts