Light 20 Gauge Dove Loads for Youth

UTGrad

I got my son a Mossberg youth 20 gauge and when I loaded it with Remington Heavy Dove # 8 shot 1 ounce it rattled my durn teeth. He hasn't shot it yet so I'm having a hard time finding any managed recoil 20 gauge shells locally. What would you folks recommend as a load for dove that is on the lighter side that is readily available? Target loads?

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Just about any 7.5 or 8 target load would be easier on the shoulder and teeth than the heavy dove load. Especially out of a lightweight gun.

Crosshairy

I agree, I would use target loads and look for close shots.

Just a tip, but if hunting with a youth in that situation where you are both shooting, limit your shots to close ranges to set an example for the kid about what's appropriate for their gun. It's hard for them to see you shooting at farther birds, but then telling them not to take the shot due to their lighter shells/smaller gauge. Might not apply to your situation, but something to consider if you think it might matter.

Nsghunter

Crosshairy":bdt59y5z said:
I agree, I would use target loads and look for close shots.

Just a tip, but if hunting with a youth in that situation where you are both shooting, limit your shots to close ranges to set an example for the kid about what's appropriate for their gun. It's hard for them to see you shooting at farther birds, but then telling them not to take the shot due to their lighter shells/smaller gauge. Might not apply to your situation, but something to consider if you think it might matter.

I took my son to a dove field recently and we spent almost all day staring at the sky. I kept enocurgaing him that we were having a great time and would ask him to find things that were great about the day. I shot 4 shell the whole day. I took time to explain where he could shoot and then would ask him were to shoot when we would move postions. It was very impressive to see how quickly he caught on and hear him explain why he would choose or not choose which shooting lanes.

Yes, low brass 7 or 8 target load, and close shots.

Also, maybe shoot some clays to get him used to tracking while shooting.

Uncle Jesse

Franklin gun shop has some low recoil Fiocchi. 3/4 ounce at 1075 FPS. My daughter started with a pump 20 and normal target loads were too much for her then. The Fiocchi low recoil loads worked great and killed doves

Latest posts