lews speed spool lfs (a review, kind of)

WTM

saw these reels at academy before fathers day and my wife was twisting my arm to by something for fathers day. so i picked one of these up instead of ordering a piscifun.

aluminum frame, p2 pinion (or whatever they call it), not a big spool but holds enough for bass fishing, and magnetic brake.

real smooth, casts great, i like a mag brake not as much of fine tuning if a reel has both centrfual and mag brakes.

cast around a 3/8 and 1/2 spinner bait really well, skipped the 3/8 a couple of times no birdsnest.

this was interesting, the p2 pinion is what diawa uses on the steez and zillion reels and what shimano used to used until they started double pinion and spool bearing. this keeps the pinion from jumping off track from the main gear. you know thats when you reel and it doesnt take up line and you have to back out the drag until it pops back in place. particularly when working a jerk bait real hard and cranking the handle at the same time.

IMG_1360.jpeg

this should be standard on all baitcasters. anyhoo a good basic, good build quality from korea and on par with say a diawa fuego, which i really like their mag z brake. id i had a choice, id probably pick the shimano slx for 99 bucks. its pinion and gear system is the exact same as the curado.

ill really test it out with some 10 pound drum shortly and see how it holds up.

WTM

I have several. They have been my go to baitcaster for about 10 years now. I love them. I get very few birds nest with them.
i have yet to birdnest a diawa fuego or tatula, and ive tried. i really like that mag z brake system. if the fuego had pinion gear support it would be an awesome reel at 99 bucks, but still great if you can find them for less than that.

BigCityBubba

I had one of the first fuegos that came out in 2005 that retailed for around $220 and I birds nested every other cast practically. A buddy gave it to me because he had the same issue and was going to toss it. I don't know that it was conducive to that model or it was just a bad one.

Crow Terminator

i have yet to birdnest a diawa fuego or tatula, and ive tried. i really like that mag z brake system. if the fuego had pinion gear support it would be an awesome reel at 99 bucks, but still great if you can find them for less than that.
I did a Tatula 200 BAD the other day. But...it was self inflicted. Was throwing a C-Rig and I didn't see that my leader had gotten wrapped around the sonar mount on my console when I reared back to throw. Needless to say...the lizard combo went nowhere and that spool was done for the day.

Latest posts