Food Plots Let's hear comments on chicory

drrxnupe

Just curious...had a guy recommend it to mix in my clover/cereal grain mix. Everything I've read on the QDMA website has been very positive. I've just never seen many guys on this board mention it.

Hunt 365

My deer in Hickman and Carroll Counties don't know what to do with it. It has been in Hickman for several years too, and is good on reseeding. They'll eat the other crops mixed in with it, and barely touch the chicory. You may see one out of 20 bitten off. I won't put it in again

Boone 58

works pretty good, but nothing beats wheat,oats and white clover for pure pounding by the deer on our lease and 45 fields!

Hunter 257W

I had deer eat it a lot from my whitetail institute "Alfa Rack" field but when I got too many broadleaf weeds in the field, I killed the chicory of course with the herbicide. Every time I re-seed the Alfa Rack the cycle repeats - New chicory comes up(along with the alfalfa and clover of course), the deer eat the chicory well, broadleaf weeds start coming up, I spray to kill the weeds and by doing so kill the chicory. I have no idea how to fix this.

PickettSFHunter

I really like it. Very drought resistant and tolerant to acidic soils. My deer learned to like it pretty quickly. Downside- no more broadleaf herbicide in the clover without killing the chicory unless you want to buy a expensive herbicide, Raptor I think it is.

Hunter 257W

smstone22 said:
I really like it. Very drought resistant and tolerant to acidic soils. My deer learned to like it pretty quickly. Downside- no more broadleaf herbicide in the clover without killing the chicory unless you want to buy a expensive herbicide, Raptor I think it is.

Thanks, I just looked up the Raptor at this link and it sounds like this is what I need to keep the chicory and get rid of weeds.

http://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/ra ... de-89.html

It's not cheap at $556.95 per gallon but you only need 4-6 ounces per acre so a gallon would do my 4 acres many times. Thanks again.

Boll Weevil

I'm trying it for the first time this year; planted about a month ago and it's coming up just fine. I've heard turkeys like to feed in it as well...so that's another benefit that I hadn't initially considered.

Hunter 1969

I love my chicory plots. I used the WI chicory. It took the deer 2-3 years to figure out what it was, but now they wont stay out of it. It is very drought tollerant and reseeds great if you let it seed out. I mix it with clover in most spots.

Latest posts