Let’s talk fishin’ combos.

akachuck

I need an opinion from y'all I've been wanting a new rod and reel combo for a while now. Both spinning and bait caster. Right now MY own rod is a Shakespeare eXclusion 6.6 medium heavy paired with a bass pro tournament series reel, don't really know the specs but it's done pretty good. Any way I need a both combos. Something that is versatile meaning flipping, frogging, and using crank baits and swim baits on. The combo I have now does all them great, just time for a change/upgrade.
thanks y'all.

NumberOne

Any certain price range you are looking at? All kinds of options but could narrow down in a certain price range.

NumberOne

Casting
Shimano Zodias 7'2 MH Casting $200
ALX IKOS 7 MH or 7'3MH $160
Megasbass Diablo Spec R 7'2 MH $200
Daiwa Tatula TTU711HFB $160
[h3][/h3]Spinning
Daiwa Tatula TTU701MFS $160
St. Croix Victory 7'1 Medium Fast $200
Megasbass F3.5-70LVS Whipsnake $200
Hammer All American Elite Micro Series 7'0 M $142

Personally I would get the Zodias or the Megabass in the casting. Spinning I don't have enough time with all those to have an opinion. If you purchase the Daiwa, Megabass, St. Croix or Hammer from Tackle Trap use BBC10 code for 10%. Hope that helps.

akachuck

Casting
Shimano Zodias 7'2 MH Casting $200
ALX IKOS 7 MH or 7'3MH $160
Megasbass Diablo Spec R 7'2 MH $200
Daiwa Tatula TTU711HFB $160
[h3][/h3]Spinning
Daiwa Tatula TTU701MFS $160
St. Croix Victory 7'1 Medium Fast $200
Megasbass F3.5-70LVS Whipsnake $200
Hammer All American Elite Micro Series 7'0 M $142

Personally I would get the Zodias or the Megabass in the casting. Spinning I don't have enough time with all those to have an opinion. If you purchase the Daiwa, Megabass, St. Croix or Hammer from Tackle Trap use BBC10 code for 10%. Hope that helps.
Helps a lot man. I genuinely appreciate it. I'll have to check em out.

Rakkin6

Casting reel
Shimano SLX
LEWS speed spool
Daiwa Tatula

Casting Rod
Dobyns Colt series
Dobyns Fury series
Duckett Silverado

These will all keep you in the price range you want. Spinning reel all I have to say is a Pflueger President.

SES

Bought my step son a carbonlite combo for his birthday last week. I'm a diehard Shimano Curado/Duckett guy, but the carbonlite rod and reel is really nice and half the price of my go to bait caster combo. $179 at bass pro for the combo.

Mtncur76

Might get in touch with sniper on here makes a real nice rod very sensitive then pair with a reel of your choice. I've never like the combos my self would rather put together my own

BlackEagle1

16 foot BGJP with any of the small pfluegers or a 13 foot stick with a Lew's 8:1 or faster ratio bait caster.

WTM

fyi, the tatula is the same reel as the fuego except for 2 bearings in the handle and that t-wing level wind contraption. 30-50 bucks more for the tatula. i have both and they both feel about the same and they have a good brake system. ive tried to backlash both on purpose and havent yet.

i personally dont care for combo packages because usually something it cheaped out.

a dobyns 734c paired with a fuego, tatula, or slx if you like centrifigal brakes would be a killer all around baitcaster setup for 200 bucks. for 150 bucks replace the reel with a piscifun phantom x. its a chinese reel but ive no idea how they make that reel for 50 bucks. i imagine they pay their workers in rice and a good beating if they dont work hard but idk. a 6 or 7 gear would be good for multipurpose.

i like shimano spinning reels (good drag and a 6 gear ratio), sahara or nasci in your budget paired with a dobys fury or shimano slx rod. the rest of the spinning reels are pretty much made in china except for high end JDM reels. anemic drag and slow gears usually except for the piscifun which i hear are really good reels. i have some pfleugers on my panfish rods but with my big hands i get tore up if i dont watch what im doing because the seat stem is so short.

anyway good luck

Lincoln Co Archer

The Shimano SLX XT combos that American Legacy Fishing is a pretty good deal especially when you get an extra 10% off for signing up for their news letter.

For spinning, I am very fond of the Daiwa BG 2500. Can be had for $90ish if you look around. It is built like a tank. For a rod I would recommend handling as many as you can. Reel placement and grip style vary widely from each manufacturer and will directly impact comfort and feel depending on what style feels best to you.

Crow Terminator

The Daiwa baitcasters are tops right now IMO. All of my baitcasting rods have the wide spool Tatula 200 on them. The Fuego only comes in the 100 series size which is the smallest spool. You can get the Tatula in 100, 150, and 200 series sizes. I like a wide spool for fishing deep diving crankbaits. Lews was/is still popular but I had nothing but bad luck with their products. All my spinning reels are also Daiwa. I have a mix of different size Fuego reels but the 2500 size gets the most use.

Rods...my spinning rods are St Croix and one Duckett. My baitcaster rods are a mix of Ducketts, St Croix, and one xtra heavy Abu Garcia that I use exclusively for A-Rigs. Can never have too many rods and reels man.

Latest posts