Left hand rifles??????

woodchuckc

I have the "itch" for a new rifle (I'm sure that many of you can relate!). I don't really need a new one, but I don't figure I should let that get in my way.

It is really pretty cool that there are so many left handed rifles available out there now as compared to years ago, but it makes choosing one a little more interesting. Right now I have a venerable old Marlin 336 30-30 that is my first deer rifle I bought 29 years ago and I still carry on occasion, but I have been mainly using a Ruger M77 MkII stainless in 270 for the past few years. It is a good rifle and I really have no complaints about it or how it shoots, but it just doesn't excite me much any more. I definitely plan on staying with a bolt action.

I am actually thinking about getting something like a 25-06, 308, or similar now to use for deer hunting in TN, and then something like a 30-06 or 7mm mag in the next couple of years in case I get to carry out my dream of going elk / mule deer hunting out west. I'd like to stay with a stainless barrel and laminated or synthetic stock since I don't let wet weather get in my way, but am really undecided about brands. I also realize that I am a little more limited in caliber choices with the left hand action.

I have always liked Remington 700s (I do have a 700VS in 22-250 I enjoy target shooting and varminting), but I have heard good things about accuracy of the Savage Weather Warriers. I don't know about the AccuTrigger - is it really as great as Savage touts it to be? Several people have been enthusiastic about Tikka T3s, but I have never seen one in person. The Browning A-bolts seem to be significantly more expensive than most, and I don't hear of too many people bragging on theirs here on TNdeer.

It would be great to hear about people's experiences and /or recommendations!

Kimberman

If I were left handed,(glad I'm not) I would look at the Tikkas and the Brownings. Both have the reputation of being very accurate out of the box. If I were looking for a used gun, I would try to find a lefty Win Model 70. From there I would go Savage and Remmy JMO.

Model70Man

I'm a left handed shooter and really like the Model 70. Since they won't be making left handed models anytime soon, I'm looking at the Tikka T3. I have a Browning A-bolt Micro in 308 that is left handed and that rifle is a consistant sub-MOA rifle. I don't like the position of the safety on that rifle and I don't like that you cannot open the bolt if the safety is on.

woodchuckc

Model70Man said:
I'm a left handed shooter and really like the Model 70. Since they won't be making left handed models anytime soon, I'm looking at the Tikka T3. I have a Browning A-bolt Micro in 308 that is left handed and that rifle is a consistant sub-MOA rifle. I don't like the position of the safety on that rifle and I don't like that you cannot open the bolt if the safety is on.

The Ruger has the same safety issue - I don't really like having to flip the safety off to unload a cartridge out of the chamber. It would not be a deal-breaker for me, though, since I am used to it.

I would like to see a Tikka in person - do you happen to know of any dealers around that stock any in the Nashville, Dickson, Jackson area?

Model70Man

Go to BPS. They always have 1 or 2 on the shelf. The T3 is a real nice rifle. The only thing I don't like about them is they only make them in one action length. So if you want a short action rifle chambered in 308 for example, you will get a long action rifle. They are however, crazy accuate.

I'm going to wait and see what happens with the Model 70 in 2009. Hopefully they will come out with left handed versions then. If Sako makes a left handed 85 Finnlight in 2008, I will have one.

Tiny

woodchuckc said:
Model70Man said:

The Ruger has the same safety issue - I don't really like having to flip the safety off to unload a cartridge out of the chamber. It would not be a deal-breaker for me, though, since I am used to it.

woodchuckc said:
....but I have been mainly using a Ruger M77 MkII stainless in 270 for the past few years....

If your talking about your Ruger,mentioned above, and it is a Mark 2 ,it has a similar 3 position. wing type safety much like the Win. M-70. Middle postion to remove the round form chamber,no need to place in the fire position. Now the older "Tang" safety Ruger is like the A-bolt. ;)

Personally I prefer this type and posiston myself.

Good luck on findeing what you want.

TAS

Chuck,

You have to come out to the house and shoot some of mine before you buy. I have a pretty big collection to choose from. I don't consider myself an expert but I have shot competition and was a spec ops sniper for many years. IMO the model 700 action is the best out there and would put myself and three of my guns with model 700 actions up against anything (from 100 to 1600 meters). There are alot of good guns out there and am not knocking any of them but for the money it can't be beat. I have hunted out west and in Alaska so we can talk calibers also as there are also many good ones. When it comes to guns and calibers you will get more opinions than if you talk pickup trucks. I don't care what anyone says as long as the rifle is accurate and the caliber is flat shooting and adequate for the game your hunting, your good. What it all boils down to is, what feels right for you and you are confident shooting. Sorry, I don't have any leftys. :grin:

Oh yeah, we can only shoot to 400 meters until after deer season. I close my "way out there" range down during the season.

CZ284

I shoot an A Bolt (bought originally as a 7-08 and rechanbered to 284 Winchester). I restocked it in a Mc Millan synthetic and it has been my favorite for about 15 years, even over a custom Mauser in 7 Mag that I had built for a trophy mule deer hunt back in 1990. The A bolt shot 1/2 inch groups out of the box. Now that I have to handload for the 284, I have a load that will put five shots in a .440 inch hole at 100 yards with a Barnes TSX bullet at 2850 fps. I'd put this up against anything in North America for any species of deer (elk and mulies included) I shot a big mulie with it a few years ago and he went no farther than a whitetail, so you don't really need a "magnum" for mule deer.

IMO, you can't go wrong with an A bolt. Bottom line, I'm a Browning fan (shotguns and other gear as well). You do get what you pay for.

drop tine

Model70Man,

I was looking at the left handed Tikka's at Gander Mountain the other day.I didn't realize they didn't make a short action.Thanks for pointing that out. They do feel real good though. Are their safeties the not the same as Browning? I thought you had to take the safety off to work the action?

CPerkins

Out of the box and using factory loads the Tikka or browning would be my choice. They are both very accurate. I have not owned a savage, but I hear good things about both. I think that if you handload and don't mind having the rifle floated, bedded, and the trigger done, the Remington will end up shooting better groups in the long run. There are exceptions. W.Seay has a 308 abolt that will shoot outstanding groups with factory ammo. I dont see much improvement on that gun. NOt everyone is like that so I still say that the odds go to the Remingtons for me.

Kimberman

CPerkins said:
Out of the box and using factory loads the Tikka or browning would be my choice. They are both very accurate. I have not owned a savage, but I hear good things about both. I think that if you handload and don't mind having the rifle floated, bedded, and the trigger done, the Remington will end up shooting better groups in the long run. There are exceptions. W.Seay has a 308 abolt that will shoot outstanding groups with factory ammo. I dont see much improvement on that gun. NOt everyone is like that so I still say that the odds go to the Remingtons for me.

I know quite a few people that have A Bolts, and there is not one of them that isnt a MOA or better gun with many different loads. They just shoot good without a lot of fuss.

Tree Man

I own two left handed rifles. The first a Remington 700 in 30-06 I bought in 85 when I went on my first elk hunt in Colorado. This rifle has taken three elk, two mulies, one antelope, and several whitetails.
Several years ago I got the hankerin' for a 7mm08. Three years ago I bought a Browning Micro Hunter. I have no problem with the location of the saftey. I do not like to push the saftey off to unload the gun. But on the other hand it makes you think to point the barrel in a safe direction before unloading the gun, so this may not be a bad thing. I am very pleased with the accuracy of the rifle. I have take two antelope, three mulies, and three whitetails with the 7mm08.

BZ911

I have owned a tikka whitetail hunter, savage 16 weather warrior and several remington 700 bdls in left hand. all are great guns.I never owned a browning. My goto gun is my remington 700 bdl classic 270 win. timintn tricked it for me. remember do not neglect the glass you mount on it. I put a zeiss conquest on mine. it is a deer kill'n machine. She is a sweet rifle.

woodchuckc

Tiny said:
If your talking about your Ruger,mentioned above, and it is a Mark 2 ,it has a similar 3 position. wing type safety much like the Win. M-70. Middle postion to remove the round form chamber,no need to place in the fire position. Now the older "Tang" safety Ruger is like the A-bolt. ;)

Personally I prefer this type and posiston myself.

Good luck on findeing what you want.

Thanks for pointing that out, Tiny. You are correct about the three position safety, except that with hunting gloves on it is usually just a two position safety - it is hard to find that middle position for unloading. I guess it doesn't really matter, since muzzle safety was ingrained in me by my Dad as soon as I was old enough to hold a BB gun, but it just seems strange to design a safety that has to be moved at all just to operate the bolt. I guess I just never have particularly liked the position of the Mk2 safety either - everybody has their likes and dislikes.

woodchuckc

TAS said:
Chuck,

You have to come out to the house and shoot some of mine before you buy. I have a pretty big collection to choose from. I don't consider myself an expert but I have shot competition and was a spec ops sniper for many years. IMO the model 700 action is the best out there and would put myself and three of my guns with model 700 actions up against anything (from 100 to 1600 meters). There are alot of good guns out there and am not knocking any of them but for the money it can't be beat. I have hunted out west and in Alaska so we can talk calibers also as there are also many good ones. When it comes to guns and calibers you will get more opinions than if you talk pickup trucks. I don't care what anyone says as long as the rifle is accurate and the caliber is flat shooting and adequate for the game your hunting, your good. What it all boils down to is, what feels right for you and you are confident shooting. Sorry, I don't have any leftys. :grin:

Oh yeah, we can only shoot to 400 meters until after deer season. I close my "way out there" range down during the season.

Tim,
O.K., you have me drooling now. We definitely have to get together for a shooting session after the season! :grin: I'd like to do some longer shooting with my 22-250 VS (I don't have a place to shoot much over 200 yards at my place).

I have never been an excellent shot with a rifle and have only shot one deer at over 250 yards, so most guns are going to be at least as accurate as me. I did used to be reasonably good at the sporting clays range back when I was shooting on a regular basis, but of course that requires a whole different skill set than being an excellent shot with a rifle.

The main drawback to the Remingtons is the limited selection of calibers available in left hand (except for the KS Mountain rifles, which are a bit more than I want to spend). Tikka and Savage offer a much wider range of calibers than Remington or Browning does currently.

Your "bottom line" statement says it all - it is most important to shoot the gun that is most comfortable for you and that you have confidence in shooting.

woodchuckc

Tree Man said:
I own two left handed rifles. The first a Remington 700 in 30-06 I bought in 85 when I went on my first elk hunt in Colorado. This rifle has taken three elk, two mulies, one antelope, and several whitetails.
Several years ago I got the hankerin' for a 7mm08. Three years ago I bought a Browning Micro Hunter. I have no problem with the location of the saftey. I do not like to push the saftey off to unload the gun. But on the other hand it makes you think to point the barrel in a safe direction before unloading the gun, so this may not be a bad thing. I am very pleased with the accuracy of the rifle. I have take two antelope, three mulies, and three whitetails with the 7mm08.

Tree Man,
I am a pretty good sized guy (6', 220 lbs). The Micro Hunter is offered in a couple of calibers I'm considering, but I wonder about the "fit" of it since it is a smaller gun. I could always add a spacer to lengthen the stock, but I don't know if it would still feel "small".

I need to visit BPS and handle several guns to get an idea of fit.

CZ284

Gotta have fun with this one.

BZ911- how many has your deer killing machine taken this year?

My little A bolt has nine so far.... ;-), and it only has a Leupold Vari XIII 3.5 x 10 x50 on it. No german glass. But I can vouch for Swarovski binocs.

Betcha Browning wins- that's why they say "Browning, the best there is".

BZ911

Remington rules!!! Why do you think the military use them for the snipers!!! Browning was the man but remington took his lunch money!!!

TAS

BZ911 said:
Remington rules!!! Why do you think the military use them for the snipers!!! Browning was the man but remington took his lunch money!!!

LOL, that's why I stick with the 700 action. I spent many hours laying behind one plus getting paid for it. :grin:

TAS

woodchuckc said:
TAS said:
Chuck,

Tim,
O.K., you have me drooling now. We definitely have to get together for a shooting session after the season! :grin: I'd like to do some longer shooting with my 22-250 VS (I don't have a place to shoot much over 200 yards at my place).

I have never been an excellent shot with a rifle and have only shot one deer at over 250 yards, so most guns are going to be at least as accurate as me. I did used to be reasonably good at the sporting clays range back when I was shooting on a regular basis, but of course that requires a whole different skill set than being an excellent shot with a rifle.

The main drawback to the Remingtons is the limited selection of calibers available in left hand (except for the KS Mountain rifles, which are a bit more than I want to spend). Tikka and Savage offer a much wider range of calibers than Remington or Browning does currently.

Your "bottom line" statement says it all - it is most important to shoot the gun that is most comfortable for you and that you have confidence in shooting.

Chuck,

It's a date.

Tim