Lee collet die

Jcalder

Anyone use a Lee collet die. Guy at work brought me a set along with a standard full length sizer. Figure I'd use the collet die and see if my brass lasts any longer. What have you guys seen. Will I have to bump shoulders after a few firings. 300wm if it matters. I know to headspace off the shoulder instead of the belt to help with brass life as well

Long walker

It's what I use for all my bolt rifles. I'll preface the rest by saying I don't reload any belted magnums. Using quality brass (Lapua, Peterson, Starline, Nosler) I typically get fibe to seven firings before I have to trim and/or bump the shoulder (depends on how hot the load is).

I have found that running brass in the press once and then turning the case 180ish degrees and running it again makes the neck tension more uniform.

For my semi-autos I use the Lee collet die and then run it through a Redding body die. Two steps but I think it works the brass a bit less.

Of course YMMV.

Omega

I always full length size my brass, it was how I learned back in the 80s, and it turns out, many top shooters do the same thing, albeit with custom dies, but yea, full length size.

Jcalder

I always full length size my brass, it was how I learned back in the 80s, and it turns out, many top shooters do the same thing, albeit with custom dies, but yea, full length size.

This was my thinking. I know a guy locally that shoots semi competitively and he bumps shoulders as well. My thoughts were just brass life, and neck tension consistency. Not that I know I'm getting the latter lol

Jcalder

It's what I use for all my bolt rifles. I'll preface the rest by saying I don't reload any belted magnums. Using quality brass (Lapua, Peterson, Starline, Nosler) I typically get fibe to seven firings before I have to trim and/or bump the shoulder (depends on how hot the load is).

I have found that running brass in the press once and then turning the case 180ish degrees and running it again makes the neck tension more uniform.

For my semi-autos I use the Lee collet die and then run it through a Redding body die. Two steps but I think it works the brass a bit less.

Of course YMMV.
Hopefully this trial and error will help me out. I've never used them. But I figure since I have them let's do it! Good to know tho that eventually I'll have to knock a shoulder back. Using the bushings will help do it minimally

kamml

The collet dies work best on once fired brass fired in the rifle you will use them in. Chamber sizing the case then sizing the neck and aligning the brass center line = accurate ammo. I used them for over 20 some odd years.

Jcalder

The collet dies work best on once fired brass fired in the rifle you will use them in. Chamber sizing the case then sizing the neck and aligning the brass center line = accurate ammo. I used them for over 20 some odd years.
This was my intent. For the few I measured and tried in my gun they fit, and the few I've measured after firing in my gun the numbers are right there together. I know I'll have a few that are either tight, or loose, but at this stage I don't have the components to burn thru and get everything like it should. Baby steps!

jlanecr500

It all depends on your chamber. Obviously, semi-auto rifles should always be full.length sized due to clambering resistance of once-fired brass. On my bolt guns, once fired, all brass gets neck sized only for the next 2 reloads. On the next reload, they get full length sized as loading resistance increases when the brass reaches chamber dimensions. By neck sizing, the brass volume stays the same from shot to shot and the brass doesn't go thru so many metal movement cycles.

jemo4570

I use them for 20+ years on all my bolt guns. Once I know the brass fits my chamber, I do not resize. I have found that the collet dies will usually bump the shoulder a couple thousands. I also use the Lee factory crimp die. I like knowing the bullets will not move, regardless of the recoil. With this combination, I have a few rifles that cartridges have been loaded 15+ times. One is a 300wm. Also, I don't try to break speed records or over stress the brass in any way. I learned a long time ago, the brass is the weak point in shooting.

JRE11

I use them for 20+ years on all my bolt guns. Once I know the brass fits my chamber, I do not resize. I have found that the collet dies will usually bump the shoulder a couple thousands. I also use the Lee factory crimp die. I like knowing the bullets will not move, regardless of the recoil. With this combination, I have a few rifles that cartridges have been loaded 15+ times. One is a 300wm. Also, I don't try to break speed records or over stress the brass in any way. I learned a long time ago, the brass is the weak point in shooting.
That's interesting to know about the Lee neck collet die actually bumping the shoulder. I recently bought some of the Lee neck collet dies along with Redding Body Dies to try out together. Haven't used yet, but my plan was to use the Body Die to resize and bump the shoulder 0.001-0.002 when needed, followed by using the Lee collet just for sizing the neck only. Guess I need to check with my bump gauge to make sure I'm not bumping the shoulder further when neck sizing.

Latest posts