Lease prices

megalomaniac

Not even that long ago most of these leased up tracts could be accessed by a handshake, polite conversation, and maybe offering to put in a bit of sweat equity for permission. Now it's all about writing checks and those checks aren't getting
not even that long ago (late.90s, early 2000s) clear-cut land could be bought for $100 per acre.

Lets face it. Land costs 20x more than what it cost 20 years ago. Expect lease prices to keep going up as long as land prices go up. And thank the landowner if he is leasing you land for $10 per acre that is worth $3000 per acre on the open market. You are getting a BARGAIN.

BSK

not even that long ago (late.90s, early 2000s) clear-cut land could be bought for $100 per acre.
Back when I was looking for land (mid 1980s), hardwoods hills were going for about $300-350/acre in southern and western TN. But I looked at a 1,000-acre fresh clear-cut and they were asking only $50/acre. I turned it down because it would be useless to a deer hunter for a decade or more. A couple days later the realtor called me back and asked if I would take it at $25/acre. $25 per acre! Now, I wish I had bought it and held on to it!

Snake

Back when I was looking for land (mid 1980s), hardwoods hills were going for about $300-350/acre in southern and western TN. But I looked at a 1,000-acre fresh clear-cut and they were asking only $50/acre. I turned it down because it would be useless to a deer hunter for a decade or more. A couple days later the realtor called me back and asked if I would take it at $25/acre. $25 per acre! Now, I wish I had bought it and held on to it!
When I first started hunting Giles Co. I seen land go for $ 300+ an acre and that was good hunting property . Our lease in Giles sold for $ 175,000 just a few years ago that's right at $1900 an acre . Had I been younger I would have thought about buying it. I would have thought it would bring more it wasn't that far from the city limits though , hunting might have been a thing in the past if they rezoned it .

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
When I first started hunting Giles Co. I seen land go for $ 300+ an acre and that was good hunting property . Our lease in Giles sold for $ 175,000 just a few years ago that's right at $1900 an acre . Had I been younger I would have thought about buying it. I would have thought it would bring more it wasn't that far from the city limits though , hunting might have been a thing in the past if they rezoned it .
Had it been rezoned, it would have been worth a mint. Sell it and buy more land elsewhere.

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
My brother bought a fantastic place in west TN in the early 90's. I think he paid $325 an acre for a little over 200 acres. Paved road runs along the edge. Has a spring fed 2 acre lake full of good bass. End of the lake spillway fed into a year round creek. Good turkey and deer. Some open fields and mature hardwoods. I would love to find something like that now for my retirement place at a price I could afford.

My grandfather's place was similar. I think it sold in the 70's for something like $150 and acre. Like so many other things those days are probably gone forever.

BSK

My brother bought a fantastic place in west TN in the early 90's. I think he paid $325 an acre for a little over 200 acres. Paved road runs along the edge. Has a spring fed 2 acre lake full of good bass. End of the lake spillway fed into a year round creek. Good turkey and deer. Some open fields and mature hardwoods. I would love to find something like that now for my retirement place at a price I could afford.

My grandfather's place was similar. I think it sold in the 70's for something like $150 and acre. Like so many other things those days are probably gone forever.
I got super lucky. I looked for hunting land every weekend for two straight summers. I looked at property every from north Georgia to north Alabama to Chattanooga, up through Middle and Southern TN. I was actually targeting the counties along the AL border at the time, as that's where the highest deer densities were. I worked with 52 different realtors. Finally found the perfect piece (500 acres) at a crazy price. Landowner was in tax trouble and needed money fast. We bought at around $170/acre. Half the property had been heavily high-graded about 10 years previous, but the other half was near virgin White and Red Oaks.

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
I got super lucky. I looked for hunting land every weekend for two straight summers. I looked at property every from north Georgia to north Alabama to Chattanooga, up through Middle and Southern TN. I was actually targeting the counties along the AL border at the time, as that's where the highest deer densities were. I worked with 52 different realtors. Finally found the perfect piece (500 acres) at a crazy price. Landowner was in tax trouble and needed money fast. We bought at around $170/acre. Half the property had been heavily high-graded about 10 years previous, but the other half was near virgin White and Red Oaks.
Wow, fantastic price. When was that? Sounds like your search really paid off! I have places to hunt, but to have a good place to fish on my retirement place is definitely on my wish list. I'd love to be able to walk down and get in the flat bottom, paddle around and catch a few fish every now and then.

BSK

Wow, fantastic price. When was that? Sounds like your search really paid off! I have places to hunt, but to have a good place to fish on my retirement place is definitely on my wish list. I'd love to be able to walk down and get in the flat bottom, paddle around and catch a few fish every now and then.
1987. Surprisingly, where the land was located (Humphreys County) was not on my radar at the time, although I had looked at land in Hickman County. The realtor just said, "This piece of property isn't where you've been looking, but you might want to take a look at it." I wasn't on the property 30 minutes and knew it was the right one.

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
1987. Surprisingly, where the land was located (Humphreys County) was not on my radar at the time, although I had looked at land in Hickman County. The realtor just said, "This piece of property isn't where you've been looking, but you might want to take a look at it." I wasn't on the property 30 minutes and knew it was the right one.
That's awesome.

Latest posts