Lease prices

HuntnFishEastTN

Went and looked at a property to possibly lease yesterday, its 130 acres about half woods and one big field the owner cuts hay off. He has no idea what to tell me as far as a price goes and I dont want to insult him. He did throw out a number of 2500 which I though was a little steep. Its in deer lodge and he also requested no hunting on sunday. What kinda price would you be willing to pay. Its nice flat land.

deerhunter10

It ranges way to much now to give an honest answer. What county? The no hunting on Sunday is strange and a weird request. I know people that pay anywhere from 15 to 45 dollars an acre. I will say this if you don't do it someone will at that price way to many people looking for places.

Iglow

It ranges way to much now to give an honest answer. What county? The no hunting on Sunday is strange and a weird request. I know people that pay anywhere from 15 to 45 dollars an acre. I will say this if you don't do it someone will at that price way to many people looking for places.
That's a blue law thing in some places, the Sunday thing but not here.

Snake

Almost $20/acre for Morgan County? I think I'd have to pass on that. Hayfield doesn't particularly appeal for me either
Morgan County?? No way too steep . 5 - 7 would be a good price unless it was one of those loaded with deer places that hadn't been hunted in a long time . With that said though it's your money .

TheLBLman

Usually people charge whatever will cover the property taxes for the year. That's a good starting point.
Traditionally, a good starting point of consideration has been the annual property taxes. I believe it still is.

But location, both in terms of the land's value for deer hunting, as well as the distance from the hunters, will then increase or decrease what should be the lease cost.

Last month, there was considerable acreage being offered only a few miles east of there for $3 to $5 an acre.

deerfever

Morgan county has a low deer density and with so much of the place being field you would be limited as to where you could actually hunt and hang stands. The price seems very steep for that area, amount of land and the limitation to one day on the weekends. Ultimately it's up to you. Good luck!

tellico4x4

Just depends on your wants, needs & financial situation. $20/acre is steep for TN but small tracts always bring more $. Things to consider are game qty/quality, distance from home, surrounding properties, etc... One one hand it's a lot of money, but on the other if checks the boxes for you it's worth it. Having prime private ground to hunt is something some folks never get to enjoy. I've leased the same 3500 acres for 21 years. It started out at $3.00 and now $9.40.
Hasn't been too many years that some states didn't allow Sunday hunting.

killingtime 41

Hard to find any over in the Far East. Over the last 4 years. It's gone from 600 acre farms 1 year later been split to 300 now mostly sold to small parcels covered in houses. And the others sections got subdivisions with cookie cutter houses built right on top of each other. Disgusts me to see my home being destroyed oh well though nothing I can do about it anymore. I'm priced way out of the competition with all the out of state money. If you don't like the sounds of the lease agreement don't do it. No need to have regrets either way you go.

Snake

Just depends on your wants, needs & financial situation. $20/acre is steep for TN but small tracts always bring more $. Things to consider are game qty/quality, distance from home, surrounding properties, etc... One one hand it's a lot of money, but on the other if checks the boxes for you it's worth it. Having prime private ground to hunt is something some folks never get to enjoy. I've leased the same 3500 acres for 21 years. It started out at $3.00 and now $9.40.
Hasn't been too many years that some states didn't allow Sunday hunting.
Some places in middle and western part of the state I can see $20 an acre but not Morgan Co. Heck it had a deer die off not long ago and even then it wasn't densely populated before .

348Winchester

I live just a short distance from Deer Lodge. In 2017 we had a terrible outbreak of EHD. IT killed off about 2/3 of our herd. It is slowly recovering. While Morgan County never has harvested huge numbers of deer the deer tend to be bigger than many other areas of the state. Some very good bucks have come from this county including the Foster Buck which was the state record for decades. I leas a small parcel that I pay $9 per acre. It is within a mile of my house and has been a decent place to hunt.

Latest posts