lease prices

TheLBLman

redblood said:
cheaper to buy a piece at auction. hunt it for 3 to 4 years, improve it a bit and sell it for 20% more than u paid. then u are getting paid to hunt.
To what extent that was the case, that gig may be over. But if you sell it, you no longer have that place to hunt. However, the fact that many hunters have decided to purchase hunting lands (in part because of high lease prices), those hunters have removed themselves from the lease market. This brings us right back to the law of supply & demand, i.e. there are now fewer deer hunters seeking a lease.

Super8

$12 ACRE IN MONTGOMERY COUNTY
$6 IN HARDIN
$10 IN NORTH PART OF SUMNER
$4 IN PERRY

Prices are all over the map in TN

landman

I see it every were on pricing
Land Managers handle big tracts of timberland, were I've seen stuff at $4 acre that was under lease for 12 years.

But I know of a Great tract a $20 per acre that comes with a small cabin, food plots and limited on what you can shoot

It all depends on what you want and are willing to pay

redblood

Wes Parrish said:
redblood said:
cheaper to buy a piece at auction. hunt it for 3 to 4 years, improve it a bit and sell it for 20% more than u paid. then u are getting paid to hunt.
To what extent that was the case, that gig may be over. But if you sell it, you no longer have that place to hunt. However, the fact that many hunters have decided to purchase hunting lands (in part because of high lease prices), those hunters have removed themselves from the lease market. This brings us right back to the law of supply & demand, i.e. there are now fewer deer hunters seeking a lease.

the opportunity is there. i just missed an auction here (had buyers coming in). deer infested 24 acres went for 18,000. some people never looked at buying land as an auction, but will put 35k on a truck, that will go down in value every day they own. just about priorities i guess.

redblood

as fas as the seeking part, i think you are wrong. i leased out 3 farms in middle tn this fall. all 3 leased the first day. probably had 50 parties competing for 3 farms. fair to see, we got our price

X-Tennessean

TN Whitetail Freak said:
Columbia Scott said:
440 acres for 2500.00 per year.Split 4 ways.

Thats what im looking for in and around weakley or carrol Co.

Good luck ! Its tuff to find in Weakley....I will however keep you in mind if I run across something. Lived there all my life until 6 years ago when I moved to Missouri. All my family is still there and thats were I hunt and no a few around who "might" have something.

bbuck14

Wes Parrish said:
bbuck14 said:
$15 an acre is outrageous but in all reality if you don't pay it someone else will.

Quote from Wes Parrish:That's an erroneous assumption, and many properties with outrageous prices have gone unleased (for the prices asked), only to reduce their prices the next year vs. risking their continuance of going unleased. (Not to say that some properties aren't worth $15 an acre and more.)

All I know is that if you have a place here in Fayette and surrounding counties if you don't pay it someone else will! I don't know of a place around here that never went unleased when avialable. I had a place for 24 yrs for $4500 that was 860 acres. It was leased out from under me for $20,000 a year with a 5 yr lease! That figured out to $23.25 per acre. On top of that you had to clip 250 acres of CRP ground. Clubs all around us are paying $15 per acre to keep their lease. The only reason was someone offered to pay that to get it out from under them. I don't know what y'all pay or don't but I promise you it's not uncommon for this amount to be paid. I'm not saying all leases here go for that. But a lot of them do. But As far as land going unleased because they're asking too much, it's not going to happen around here if the right person hears about it! Do I agree with it? No I don't but I have no control of it.

landman

bbuck14 said:
Wes Parrish said:
bbuck14 said:
$15 an acre is outrageous but in all reality if you don't pay it someone else will.

Quote from Wes Parrish:That's an erroneous assumption, and many properties with outrageous prices have gone unleased (for the prices asked), only to reduce their prices the next year vs. risking their continuance of going unleased. (Not to say that some properties aren't worth $15 an acre and more.)

All I know is that if you have a place here in Fayette and surrounding counties if you don't pay it someone else will! I don't know of a place around here that never went unleased when avialable. I had a place for 24 yrs for $4500 that was 860 acres. It was leased out from under me for $20,000 a year with a 5 yr lease! That figured out to $23.25 per acre. On top of that you had to clip 250 acres of CRP ground. Clubs all around us are paying $15 per acre to keep their lease. The only reason was someone offered to pay that to get it out from under them. I don't know what y'all pay or don't but I promise you it's not uncommon for this amount to be paid. I'm not saying all leases here go for that. But a lot of them do. But As far as land going unleased because they're asking too much, it's not going to happen around here if the right person hears about it! Do I agree with it? No I don't but I have no control of it.

Your in that less than 1 hour from Memphis drive,
Land even brings more per acre on selling
I agree with you in that area you can't past thinking it will go
down in price

shaggy

bbuck 14 is correct about Fayette County. Folks from Shelby County are driving out and paying large amounts to lease some land. Don't get me wrong, it's not all Shelby Countians that are doing it, we have locals here that do the same thing. I drive west towards Memphis for about 5 miles on 64 and it's nothing to count 30+ trucks heading east. It is very cut throat, folks locking gates behind them and hiding their trucks where they hunt. They don't even show their deer off as much. If someone finds out that you have a good spot and the landowner is looking for $, you can say goodbye.

TheLBLman

landman said:
bbuck14 said:
All I know is that if you have a place here in Fayette and surrounding counties if you don't pay it someone else will! I don't know of a place around here that never went unleased when avialable.

Your in that less than 1 hour from Memphis drive . . . . .
Exactly.
It always comes back to the law of supply & demand.
The Memphis area is TN's largest metropolitan area coupled with being the one with the least amount of nearby deer hunting opportunities available (on a per hunter basis) of TN's five largest metropolitan areas (Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Tri-Cities).

Unlike the others having numerous large WMA's nearby, as well as large wooded areas, Memphis is surrounded more by large agricultural fields (less places to deer hunt). Memphis area hunters also are effected by living in a "corner" area of TN where they are bordered on two sides by hunting opportunities requiring them to purchase a non-resident license (further increasing the demand on the already limited opportunities near Memphis in TN).

I seriously doubt there's much room for any uptick for most lease prices around Memphis, although I would say this is the one area where I'd not expect any to go unleased. Personally, if I lived in the Memphis area, I would be a member of the intensely well managed 20,000-acre Ames Hunting Club --- relatively great value for the area, and the annual membership fee is less than what many are paying for a few crowded acres near Memphis. In fact, I've been seriously considering joining Ames anyway, just because it's such a well managed and appealing set-up to me. Even if I only hunted Ames a few days a year, annual cost is less than most 1-week trips to a non-resident state.

bbuck14

shaggy said:
bbuck 14 is correct about Fayette County. Folks from Shelby County are driving out and paying large amounts to lease some land. Don't get me wrong, it's not all Shelby Countians that are doing it, we have locals here that do the same thing. I drive west towards Memphis for about 5 miles on 64 and it's nothing to count 30+ trucks heading east. It is very cut throat, folks locking gates behind them and hiding their trucks where they hunt. They don't even show their deer off as much. If someone finds out that you have a good spot and the landowner is looking for $, you can say goodbye.

Shaggy you are so correct! I hide my truck every time I go if I can. I don't have any of my deer scored or entered into the registry for the very reason people are looking to lease your land out from under you. The majority of the time it's someone you know that'll do it to you. For years now I've kept my mouth shut for the most part on what I kill, what I see, and where I hunt. Like I said before I had someone quadrupled my price to get a farm out from under me. They thought just because they had it they could kill good deer off of it. Something that I had worked years to build up to have a neighbor lease it out from under me. It is very cutthroat in this area as far as deer hunting goes. Oh and as far as the guys that leased my farm out from under me they haven't killed a deer more then 16" wide in 4yrs now. And they (Michael Kattawar Jr, Sr. and 2 others) were busted on the very same farm for the largest baiting case in the state of Tn. 16,000lbs of sunflower seeds put out for turkey's! The story was on tndeer forum when it happened a few yrs ago. So you have to be very careful and hush hush around here!

leebowhunts

we pay fifteen and also do work on the property. My buddies pay twenty for lincon county land.If we dont pay we dont have anywhere to hunt.I lived here all my life and know about everybody on the east sideand there is not much property that isnt over hunted. Im on the lincoln, Franklin,and Mooore line

deerhunter10

goodness yal are prices in tn that you would pay in Illinois or Kansas or some pace like that some people are paying more. that's crazy glad I dont have to do that.

hitek7

Had a lease a few years ago around Kelso in Lincoln county. About 280 acres total with about 50 acres of it being wooded. We paid $7/acre until someone came in and offered them $15/acre. There were 2 good hunting locations on the whole property and I did not want to pay this. If I would not have found another lease, I may had for one year though. We had grown the deer on the property for years and now someone else is reaping the benefits. If I would have had to pay the $15/acre, I would have gotten my monies worth. What you going to do, money talks!

TheLBLman

For whatever reasons unknown to me, strange how some of the Alabama bordering TN counties seem to command higher lease prices, other than maybe lots of Alabama hunters consider the hunting better on the TN side of the line?

Could non-resident hunters from Alabama be creating a greater "demand" for the limited "supply" in these counties?

By contrast, generally don't see that from the TN counties bordering KY (more a case of the TN hunters leasing in KY).

bbuck14

Chaneylake said:
its all about what you have to offer

Your correct Ray. It depends on what the landowner can offer from his land and what you, the hunter are willing to pay to get it. Thank goodness not all landowners are like that. Probably more then not are fair people to deal with. It's the select few that ruin it for everyone. It's not always the landowner that raises the price on the lease but it's the so called hunter who wants it worse then you!