Late season elk advice needed

dgolden

Hey guys, I'll be headed out to northwest Colorado this year for third season. I've only been out there twice in second season. CPW pushed the rifle weeks back a week so it will be mid November until we can hunt. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last year a buddy and I found an area with a few elk (approximately 10 cows, 2 spikes, and 1 legal bull). We saw them 2 days in a row. They were surprising close to a county road. It's in a trophy deer unit so we saw hundreds of deer, and we were the only elk hunters that we met in that area.
The area has a long pipe line with lush grass that we saw them feeding in several times. This was the last 3 days of second season last year. What are the odds that area will hold elk late into the year?

BlackEagle1

50/50 I would guess. Depending on elevation, weather, and pressure the area could be barren. I figure it's worth checking, but you find them where they are. A legal bull close to the road in Colorado has a pretty short life expectancy.

gtk

Staff member
Generally, elk travel the same migration paths year after year, especially to wintering areas. Unless it holds a "local" herd, elk migrate and its a guessing game as to when they show up.

Have a backup plan, and a backup to the backup. If the elk aren't there, move to where they are.

check to see if the wildfires burned that area.

bring some warm clothes ! By 3rd season, it will most likely be windy, cold, and snowy

dgolden

50/50 I would guess. Depending on elevation, weather, and pressure the area could be barren. I figure it's worth checking, but you find them where they are. A legal bull close to the road in Colorado has a pretty short life expectancy.
I couldn't believe they were that close to the road. For more context… where they were is still hard to get to. It's a steep drop off to them and then there is private property on the other side of the pipe line. One day we watched them all day on private and they came over to public after legal shooting light.

dgolden

Generally, elk travel the same migration paths year after year, especially to wintering areas. Unless it holds a "local" herd, elk migrate and its a guessing game as to when they show up.

Have a backup plan, and a backup to the backup. If the elk aren't there, move to where they are.

check to see if the wildfires burned that area.

bring some warm clothes ! By 3rd season, it will most likely be windy, cold, and snowy
There was a large wildfire about a mile south of this area, but it has been contained. Where the fire was is where we hunted in 2018.
Thanks for the advice!

LanceS4803

Is there still going to be a deer season during your elk hunt?
I've traded info with other hunters.
While looking for deer, I'll drop a pin in OnX for any elk sightings. While talking to some elk hunters, they had seen deer. Nice to be able to trade detailed info.

dgolden

Is there still going to be a deer season during your elk hunt?
I've traded info with other hunters.
While looking for deer, I'll drop a pin in OnX for any elk sightings. While talking to some elk hunters, they had seen deer. Nice to be able to trade detailed info.
Yes, 3rd rifle deer season will be going on. That's how we found this spot last season. We shared a waypoint for a 150" mule deer we saw and he sent us one for these elk at the pipe line.

JCDEERMAN

It will be cold and I imagine they will have moved down from up high. Where abouts are you going? We hunted the Piceance Creek in Rio Blanco County for several years. Big elk herds in that area.

Latest posts