ky trapping

Stick & String

Thanks guys.. I thought I could tell my trap supplier (Joe E.) since I had bought so many supplies from him and thought he was a friend but apparently, I was wrong. I just called him and all he could say was to start knocking on some doors. What a bunch of crap! The worst part iso that from trapping the property last year I knew all the good spots to place a trap. Now I will need to start from scratch if I do get permission on another spot.

Carlos

I wouldn't let that stop me from trapping on the property. There's no way he caught them all. Also, when one is removed, another critter takes it's place right away. That 900 acres is enough to hold a ton of game.

Stay after 'em, there's plenty to be had.

KTS

I lived in Henry County until about four years ago.
I didn't have any trouble at all getting permission to trap from farmers. Most of them that I talked to want to get rid of coyotes and especially beaver.
I also trapped LBL, mainly for bobcats. LBL is a great place to trap for just about anything. You have to have a permit and turn in a report at the end of the season but it is well worth it.
Also I never had any problem with other trappers as there is almost no competition. I did have a couple of traps stolen by some scum though. Get out and knock on some farmers doors and just be very honest and you will be successful.
I'm sorry about what happened to you, he fits into my scum category.

Stick & String

Thanks for the comments guys. I will definitely be more careful in the future. And I will keep looking for more spots. Sort of tough to know where to ask though when you are new to the country . I knocked on a door this morning at a place that looked good for beaver but nobody answered. WIll try again. Thanks

TX300mag

If he runs a business, post feedback on him online. Make it known that you bought supplies and he went behind your back from your private discussions. Bet other people will quit using him over something like that.
Absolutely. If he did it to you there's no telling how many he's done it to.

At least people will know he can't be trusted and be tight-lipped around him.

KTS

Another tip to maybe help find some trapping property and I did this myself when I first started looking for places to trap.
Go and talk to the U.T. Agriculture extension agent there.
He can probably put you on some properties.

Trapper

I would go ahead and trap it also , but make sure you mark your trap beside the tags . If he's going to steal your spot he will steal your catches also and your traps . I would engrave them on the baseplate or under the pan just in case . I would bait him with a set and put a camera close to it that way you got proof who did it . Found out a long time ago never trust anyone .

Henry

Last year I had permission to trap an awesome 900 acre ranch in western TN for bobcats, coyotes, and beaver. And even though it was my first year trapping, I was thrilled to be able to harvest 6 bobcats, 4 coyotes, and 8 beaver. But I guess I made the mistake of telling my trap supplier about it and come to find out, he got permission on it this year and is trapping it as we speak even though I was told to wait until after deer season. I got permission to trap it again this year and was planning on it but don't think it will be very good coming in behind another trapper. Unfortunately it is the only property I have permission to trap. I've been trying to get permission on other properties but no luck yet. And I know this is a touchy subject, but if anyone knows of a place to trap around Paris, please let me know. I feel kind of slighted as last year I spent well over $1000 on trapping supplies from this supplier. Not a good way to run a business if you ask me.
Def not a good way to have loyal customers. My dad and oldest brother trapped. Is there any money in it now a days?

Henry

Thanks for the comments guys. I will definitely be more careful in the future. And I will keep looking for more spots. Sort of tough to know where to ask though when you are new to the country . I knocked on a door this morning at a place that looked good for beaver but nobody answered. WIll try again. Thanks
lol, I wouldn't be answering a door this morning either...take a while to get the heat back.

Speedwell-Hunter

Thanks guys.. I thought I could tell my trap supplier (Joe E.) since I had bought so many supplies from him and thought he was a friend but apparently, I was wrong. I just called him and all he could say was to start knocking on some doors. What a bunch of crap! The worst part iso that from trapping the property last year I knew all the good spots to place a trap. Now I will need to start from scratch if I do get permission on another spot.
Hey what happened? Ur original post shows nothing

Latest posts