Kentucky Lake Guides

godores

Hey all - I am a first time poster on TnDeer and really appreciate you experienced folks helping us rookies out. As someone who is new to duck hunting, your opinions and tips are just invaluable.

I am fixing to learn to duck hunt and I like the advice of finding a guide for my first trip. Does anyone have any solid recommendations for a guide on Kentucky Lake this season? My buddy and I are both experienced shooters, we just never got around to learning how to hunt ducks. I want to make sure I enjoy hunting them before I invest in all the necessary decoys, calls, blinds, etc.

Also, does anybody know of a non-toxic ammo type that will shoot out of a full choke without damaging it? I would love to use my old wingmaster my first time hunting duck (sentimental reasons, of course), but I've heard mixed reviews on whether a fixed full choke will work for duck hunting. I realize it isn't ideal, but I'm wondering if it can be done without damaging the gun.

Thanks in advance for your help!

scn

I would advise against the full choke. Steel and other non-toxic shot seem to do much better in less restrictive chokes. I made the switch from a modified in my A-5 many years ago to an improved cylinder, and my killing went way up. I've killed geese to 60 yds with that choke as well as doing better over the decoys.

I have seen reports of steel shot "bulging" a barrel with a full choke. I wouldn't risk a gun I cared about. And, IMO, you will do much better with a more open choke.

Bullfrog

As far as guides on Ky Lake, check with Steve McCadams, Garry Mason(Henry County), or Benny Latondresse(Benton Co.)

Latest posts