Josh Heupel

Displaced_Vol

Looks like he is the guy. Don't really have a strong opinion on it to be honest. Kinda like Danny White, guess we'll know in a few years.

wayne

He's got a proven record of developing qb's. He has a high powered offense. I just question whether he can rebuild this program and recruit at a high level.

waynesworld

LOL is he the new coach for UT? His dad coached me, I liked him and was a good coach. Josh has always been a good kid from when I remember he is a little younger then I was. Some coaches kids get it easy on the team he didn't he was pushed hard to excel.

Good time Charlie

I have a feeling this will be a good hire, this guy knows football if he will have anything left to work with maybe some will come back out of the portal if that is possible.

cbhunter

All we can do is give him a shot. Doesn't seem really exciting but he won't do any worse than Pruitt so there is that. Developing and recruiting will be the key for him to find success.

Displaced_Vol

Seems to be this is a hire geared toward fixing our most glaring problems. QB play and by extension an anemic offense. Like I said, we'll see how it goes.

Going out on a limb here but I wonder if this hire was made with the thought of Ty Simpson at the forefront. Same reason Tony Elliott may have gotten a lot of play too? Don't know haven't heard anything about him lately as we've had a few other issues to talk about, but if you want to keep the kid in Tennessee a coach that operates like Heupel should be attractive, no?

SDS

Considering the inevitable sanctions by the NCAA, it is amazing we could find any quality candidate. I'll tell you this, UT would have got there butt kicked by UCF each of the last three years he's been the coach. His offense is fun to watch, and he will develop quarterbacks. I just hope he hires great assistant coaches, recruits well, and the fan base gives him a couple of years with the morass we're in.

flyinpro

He's got a proven record of developing qb's. He has a high powered offense. I just question whether he can rebuild this program and recruit at a high level.
Agree, he can develop QB's but his high powered offensive scheme at UCF has not been tested against the speed of the SEC and you just can't declare yourself champion at Tennessee unless you actually beat a few quality teams. Time will tell.

i like the hire.

THEdonkey0515

I don't care for the hire much, but who knows at this point. He was buddy's with that AD which got him the job we shall see.

The good he spent over a Decade working with QBs and as a offensive coordinator. For Oklahoma, Utah State, and Missouri.

3 years of head coach experience.

Real good offensive #s as a coach and offensive coordinator.

Bad:

He took over a 13-0 scott frost UCF team that just came off a win against #7 Auburn.

And UCF got worse every season under him finishing with 6 wins last season with 1 win over a .500 team.

Not considered a good recruiter.

Grandslam11

We could have done worst... I know we all really wanted a big name, but we probably don't deserve a big name "right now". It was reported today that Crouch and To'oto'o have re-enrolled at UT so that is a big plus. This guys offense put up 50 on the Vols in 2017 adding to Butch's embarrassment. We wanted someone who had HC experience... we got that. We wanted someone who had SEC experience.... we got that. We wanted someone who likes to score a lot of points.... we got that. We could have done worst.

PillsburyDoughboy

Considering the inevitable sanctions by the NCAA, it is amazing we could find any quality candidate. I'll tell you this, UT would have got there butt kicked by UCF each of the last three years he's been the coach. His offense is fun to watch, and he will develop quarterbacks. I just hope he hires great assistant coaches, recruits well, and the fan base gives him a couple of years with the morass we're in.
Going to be interesting to see what hammer gets dropped for sure.

buckaroo

Pretty sad, Ncaa punishes those who admit and try to fix things, but almost nothing to those who fight tooth and nail, I think college ball is way more corrupt than NFL

wayne

Agree, he can develop QB's but his high powered offensive scheme at UCF has not been tested against the speed of the SEC and you just can't declare yourself champion at Tennessee unless you actually beat a few quality teams. Time will tell.

i like the hire.
His offense was used at Mizzou with Drew Lock and averaged 500 yds per game.

Latest posts