what if Heupel Never went 11-2....

THEdonkey0515

Would 8-4 be a good year? In year #3?

Let's says Heupel went 6-6 year 1... after the ugly 3-7 hole Pruitt left the program would anyone complain?(Heuple went 7-5)

What if he went 7-5 Year #2 that's improvement? From 6-6

8-4 Year 3? I think everyone would be excited with 3 straight years of improvement. Heupel exceeded expectations in year 2 that's facts. And 8-4 is now a disappointment. The people on his case need to chill out.

Name a coach not named Saban or Kirby who you would take over Heupel? Lane Kiffin who also went 8-4 Year 3 in the SEC? Jimbo who just got canned? Jim Harbaugh who can't play a single season without being suspended multiple times, probably headed to the NFL?

Who would have did a better job?

M T Pockets 000

I think some teams have figured out how to shut down UT's fast offence. They also play ball control. Mz had the ball 40 minutes vs UT's 20. Heupel has some weakness in the offensive scheme and needs to be able to counter. The defense cant stay on the field the entire game. Don't get me wrong as I think he has the capacity to field a contending team with a lil time

Hammer

The games that matter are Florida, Georgia and the Crimson team….. Period
They need to be winning 2 out of the 3 yearly. I don't see that happening anytime soon. Which is sad.

Not being able to win against those three consistently for almost two decades has completely ruined this program. Now they play for 6 wins and a trip to a no name bowl game.

Tennessee is now Vandy Sr. In the SEC.
Crappy seasons like 8-4 will produce crappy recruiting which will produce the same crappy results.

wayne

Screenshot_20231113_183516_X.jpg

Creek bottoms

TN caught lightning in a bottle last year with, perhaps, the best QB since Manning. They lost two premier receivers and an OT to the NFL. 8-4 is realistic. They won't be as good as 8-4 next year having to replace an entire OL and needing a secondary replacement. That, coupled with the SEC becoming more difficult with TX and OU, TN and a lot of other schools would be tickled to average 8-4. I like TN football, but so many TN fans are delusional and not realistic. I got banned from Volnation with this honesty.

MUP

I'm not doubting Heupel as a coach, but I am saying he needs more discipline on the individual level, which, translates to the team level. JMO of course, and I know a lot of teams do it, but the little first grade skits they put on for the least little positive yardage play are childish, and look even more ridiculous as the score builds and they fall further behind. Discipline. I hope he gets it back next season. :)

THEdonkey0515

The games that matter are Florida, Georgia and the Crimson team….. Period
They need to be winning 2 out of the 3 yearly. I don't see that happening anytime soon. Which is sad.

Not being able to win against those three consistently for almost two decades has completely ruined this program. Now they play for 6 wins and a trip to a no name bowl game.

Tennessee is now Vandy Sr. In the SEC.
Crappy seasons like 8-4 will produce crappy recruiting which will produce the same crappy results.
my question is what coach is winning 2 outta 3 against Bama and UGA right now?

Very very very few if any.

Uga could very well win 3 straight championships and Bama could finish inside the top 7 all 3 years Heupels been a coach at UT.
besides Heupel went 2-1 against the teams you named just last year not counting a beat down of the SEC west Champ on the road lat year.....Expecting him to do it every single year is unrealistic IMO.

Last edited:

THEdonkey0515

Btw, since that last season, how has recruiting been? Should have been up I would think. I'm just a casual spectator and don't delve into the numbers as such. :)
Top 12 in the country with mutiple 5* players (edge/WR) with three 4* Olinemen. Mutiple 4* DBs, 4* QB, 4*RB 4*LB and 4* TE.

According to 247.

Finished top 11 in the 2023 class.

A&M finished top 10 In 2023 and #1 in 2022. They just fired Jimbo....Florida finished 11 in 2023 & currently has the #4 class anyone wanna trade Heupel for Billy Napier?

Last edited:

Gravey

Having the season they had last year definitely spoiled us and put unrealistic expectations on the table for this year. Before season I would have picked the Vols to beat Florida and Missouri. Still think they should've beat Florida but they were outplayed bad by Missouri who hung tight with Georgia. Regardless I'll be there Saturday when Georgia probably has their way. Rome wasn't built in a day and Butch left a mess. Patience Vols fans…patience!

THEdonkey0515

Having the season they had last year definitely spoiled us and put unrealistic expectations on the table for this year. Before season I would have picked the Vols to beat Florida and Missouri. Still think they should've beat Florida but they were outplayed bad by Missouri who hung tight with Georgia. Regardless I'll be there Saturday when Georgia probably has their way. Rome wasn't built in a day and Butch left a mess. Patience Vols fans…patience!
I agree, but If you would have asked me before the season, it what is more realistic this year 10-2 or for a 2nd straight year knowing the players we lost or 8-4/9-3. I would have said 8-4. You can go back and look on this site it's where I had the Vols before the season started.

THEdonkey0515

It was clear to me last year that this season would be a step back. People shouldn't believe Nico will come in and light the world on fire in his first year under center either. I expect something similar next year honestly. I'm glad to have Heupel!
Agree, wouldn't surprised to see 8-4 / 9-3 next year.

sgtwebb1

I think some teams have figured out how to shut down UT's fast offence. They also play ball control. Mz had the ball 40 minutes vs UT's 20. Heupel has some weakness in the offensive scheme and needs to be able to counter. The defense cant stay on the field the entire game. Don't get me wrong as I think he has the capacity to field a contending team with a lil time
The lack of depth at WR is KILLING UT right now.
Bru McCoy--out for the season.
Thornton was just showing he was getting in the groove--out for thre season.
Squirrel White is small, but crazy fast & can flat out catch, but he's the #1 guy now for sure.
NO depth over there.

DB is killing them also--one of the best corners in the SEC out for the season.

2024 they have a LOT of 4 & 5 star talent incoming, but lose a lot of Senior starters other guys with lots of playing time & experience, so 2024 is likely to be a step back.

Hopefully, 2025 is a breakout year.

THEdonkey0515

And will be lucky if they get Bowl eligible.
Yup, wouldn't surprise me if he joins Jimbo next year in the unemployment line.

Still waiting on someone to name a coach that can beat UGA and Bama every year in the SEC and finish 10-2 or better mutiple years in a row taking over a program that won 3 games three years ago....

wayne

Willie Martinez has got to go. They can't expect to get any better on defense unless they can be coached well enough to play man-to-man. Playing so much zone kills them in run support.
The front 7 has been exceptional for the most part except for Mizzou and the 2nd half of Alabama.
Rodney Garner deserves a raise.

Latest posts