January Hack and Squirt

TN Whitetail Freak

Is it too late in the year to perform this TSI? I have 45 acres im wanting to produce bedding cover and was wanting to hack and squirt small portion of timber mainly sweetgum, sycamore and pecan and american beech leaving the oaks alone. Will this method work this late in the winter when trees are dormant

DoubleRidge

TN Whitetail Freak":2qfjyi5m said:
Is it too late in the year to perform this TSI? I have 45 acres im wanting to produce bedding cover and was wanting to hack and squirt small portion of timber mainly sweetgum, sycamore and pecan and american beech leaving the oaks alone. Will this method work this late in the winter when trees are dormant

I've had the same question before and found the following information on TSI:

hack-n-squirt is effective almost any season except early spring when you have that heavy sap flow and sap rise, it can wash the herbicide right out of the cut. Otherwise, late winter, summer and fall are fine. In the South, the sap starts flowing in March or into April. It will start later in the North.

Another timing factor is rainfall. Do not apply herbicide if rainfall is forecasted. Rainfall within a day or two of the application can wash the herbicide out of the cut.

It's my understanding that the Basal bark herbicide application is also effective any time of year but I don't have much experience with the method. I have read more chemical is used with the basal spray method so cost of application could be something to consider depending on the number of stems to be treated.

Allot of published information online that goes into much more detail....types of herbicides, etc.....hope this helps.

Good luck on your habitat improvements!!

JCDEERMAN

As mentioned, as long as it is before sap upflow in early spring, you should be fine. I plan to do some work in January and February. Good luck!

JCDEERMAN

Boll Weevil":z8lurygw said:
Did some h&s today and will really cover some ground over the next 60 days...both basal spray and h&s.
What percentage of mixture do you use for both methods? Also, which herbicide?

Boll Weevil

JCDEERMAN":2p0ny3rx said:
Boll Weevil":2p0ny3rx said:
Did some h&s today and will really cover some ground over the next 60 days...both basal spray and h&s.
A part Garlon4 (the ester) + 4 parts diesel. Both methods same recipe.

MickThompson

Boll Weevil":3luvf6vd said:
JCDEERMAN":3luvf6vd said:
Boll Weevil":3luvf6vd said:

If you're using ester and diesel, you don't need to bother with hacks.

Hack and squirt uses the amine formulation of triclopyr (Garlon 3a for example) or forestry glyphosate 50/50 with water, or a 10% solution of imazapyr. I usually skip a hatchet blade width between cuts.

Boll Weevil

Micks absolutely right. Diesel as a bark penetrant/carrier makes hacking (esp on thin skinned trees) much less of a requirement. Thicker barked trees you gotta get to the cambium layer.

MickThompson

If I'm killing bigger stuff, say over 3-4", I'm hacking. Basal oil shines when you have a lot of small stems, such as a privet or autumn olive thicket that you don't want to wade.

JCDEERMAN

Thanks...and you don't have to worry about putting diesel in your backpack sprayer? I've never basal sprayed.

So with H&S, 10% imazapyr and 90% water will do the trick correct?

MickThompson

Imazapyr is $$$ unless you have some left over from another project.

I do basal bark through the cheap 1-1.5 garden sprayers, not a good backpack sprayer. It goes further than you'd think.

JCDEERMAN

Thanks guys. I have some experience in this but not a whole lot. I have some big projects to tackle. Plan on H&S with triclopyr. Mainly to kill saplings and ankle sized trees in several year old select cuts.

When our select cuts being done now are finished , I'll be walking and spraying all stumps

Moonman

I use imazapur myself for hack and squirt and it's done well. I bought a gallon off amazon of the 4sl which is the stronger for 150. It really goes along way and does a good job. The biggest thing is read the label and see what it treats and the ratios. My only hesitation doing it right now is the weather. I think in the fall you get a better response because all the sap is flowing down. I would assume most of The sap is already where it'll be waiting for spring. Also I have noticed that with the warmer days some things are wanting to bud so I would keep that in mind. I've had success with hack and squirt on privet, but it's more of an evergreen this time of year.

JCDEERMAN

Boll Weevil":3kzb68yu said:
JCDEERMAN":3kzb68yu said:
Boll Weevil":3kzb68yu said:
Would this mixture also work on spraying stumps around the cambium layer? Or since you are using the mixture with diesel, I imagine you can just coat all of it?

So, for every 4 quarts (1 gallon) of diesel, you will add 1 quart of Garlon4, correct?

JCDEERMAN

Boll Weevil":1jb7wrgv said:
Assuming you are talking about painting the top of a freshly cut stem, yes it works. Regarding the mixing rate, correct.
Thanks BW!

Yea I'm going to go in after the logger leaves and spray all the stumps...about 40 acres worth :shock:

Sorry for all the questions. I want to do it right so I don't have to do it again

Once I burn another 60 acres, I'll go through and do some spraying for there too (a lot)

Hunter 257W

I've had good luck using Cornerstone brand "RoundUp" undiluted and applying via Hack-N-Squirt in January and February. I was killing mostly Sumacs. I made about a dozen hacks per tree and gave them each a squirt using a Windex bottle.

JCDEERMAN

Hunter 257W":2att3oz4 said:
I've had good luck using Cornerstone brand "RoundUp" undiluted and applying via Hack-N-Squirt in January and February. I was killing mostly Sumacs. I made about a dozen hacks per tree and gave them each a squirt using a Windex bottle.
I've used glyphosate for H&S and it worked well on a lot of species, but I had a lot of trees it didn't kill. Due to the amount of acreage I have to treat this go round, I want something more potent. Don't want ANY trees treated to live :D