January Hack and Squirt

LanceS4803

JCDEERMAN":2o1x7czs said:
I've used glyphosate for H&S and it worked well on a lot of species, but I had a lot of trees it didn't kill. Due to the amount of acreage I have to treat this go round, I want something more potent. Don't want ANY trees treated to live :D

Garlon 3 (or it's equivalent, I use Triclopyr) will get the job done. 50/50 mix.
I have had a few sweet gum trees that took a second application, don't know why. They looking identical to others with the black flowing down and the sickly sweet smell, but it just didn't take.

JCDEERMAN

LanceS4803":1qn1kjks said:
JCDEERMAN":1qn1kjks said:
I've used glyphosate for H&S and it worked well on a lot of species, but I had a lot of trees it didn't kill. Due to the amount of acreage I have to treat this go round, I want something more potent. Don't want ANY trees treated to live :D

Garlon 3 (or it's equivalent, I use Triclopyr) will get the job done. 50/50 mix.
I have had a few sweet gum trees that took a second application, don't know why. They looking identical to others with the black flowing down and the sickly sweet smell, but it just didn't take.
50/50 mix with water?

Hunter 257W

JCDEERMAN":2muxugub said:
Hunter 257W":2muxugub said:
I've had good luck using Cornerstone brand "RoundUp" undiluted and applying via Hack-N-Squirt in January and February. I was killing mostly Sumacs. I made about a dozen hacks per tree and gave them each a squirt using a Windex bottle.

I agree 100%. I'd rather spend twice(or more) money than to invest the time and work and not kill all the trees you treat.

That's why I mix the Super Brush Killer strong when I spray foliage on the wild Bradford Pears in the Spring. I don't want to have to do it twice.

LanceS4803

JCDEERMAN":14dn9vhp said:
LanceS4803":14dn9vhp said:
JCDEERMAN":14dn9vhp said:

50/50 mix with water?

Yes.
Package materials say you can use straight or 50/50. I just mark my squirt bottle with lines, mix and go. I don't use any dye for H&S, but do use it sometimes for basal bark applications.
https://extension.psu.edu/using-hack-and-squirt-herbicide-applications-to-control-unwanted-trees

LanceS4803

TN Whitetail Freak":2370jhu4 said:
Ive already seen buttercups and maples budding. I assume its getting too late?

I hope not!
Did about 100 sweet gums, and a dozen or so large bunches of privet, last weekend.

JCDEERMAN

Boll Weevil":an34s0zo said:
Micks absolutely right. Diesel as a bark penetrant/carrier makes hacking (esp on thin skinned trees) much less of a requirement. Thicker barked trees you gotta get to the cambium layer.
Will this diesel and herbicide mixture kill stumps that have been cut weeks earlier? Ideally, you want to spray stumps within the hour after being cut. However, I won't have the opportunity to get to our place and spray the stumps the logger cuts until a couple weeks later. I want to prevent shoots from coming up from the stump. 3-4 weeks after the cut, will the diesel and herbicide mixture kill the stump and roots by spraying the whole stump?

LanceS4803

If the bark is thin, like privet, the basal bark will penetrate the sides of the stump. Hopefully you have several inches sticking up.

It would be a royal PITA to hack and squirt very low cut stumps. The bending over to do a bunch would kill me.

JCDEERMAN

LanceS4803":1dzwc7jt said:
If the bark is thin, like privet, the basal bark will penetrate the sides of the stump. Hopefully you have several inches sticking up.

It would be a royal PITA to hack and squirt very low cut stumps. The bending over to do a bunch would kill me.
Most trees would be mountain chestnut oak, poplar, hickory, maple, etc....I should have at least several inches to work with. I know this is a hack and squirt thread, but I was think more in the line of basal spraying what's left of the stump and on the top open cut around the cambium layer. Surely it would penetrate, but I wanted to ask the experts....

LanceS4803

With a live tree, you would know in about 30 days if basal bark worked. I would give it a try and see what happens.

Moonman

I hate sweet fun with a passion. My understanding is on hack and squirt that it doesn't work well in the spring because sap flowa up and ultimately only kills the tops. Doing it when sap isn't flowing up butback to the roots kills the whole tree.

LanceS4803

True, better to wait until around May. But they seem to have budded out early this year.
I'm doing a lot of real small saplings with basal bark now.
I hit some with H&S in Jan and had about 75% success rate, with the rest (big mature trees) showing significant stunting. I just whacked them again to finish them off.

Moonman

LanceS4803":2w00uvd1 said:
True, better to wait until around May. But they seem to have budded out early this year.
I'm doing a lot of real small saplings with basal bark now.
I hit some with H&S in Jan and had about 75% success rate, with the rest (big mature trees) showing significant stunting. I just whacked them again to finish them off.
I don't know about you but I on some good music and it really releases stress. It goes between classic rock and good paced old country. You get in a rhythm.

Latest posts