Hack and Squirt

MickThompson

I have seen some of these mixes with either crop oil or diesel instead of water. I think it helps get the chemicals through the bark. Is that not better? Maybe it doesn't matter since they are girdling. I am sure it is messier.
Some of these chemicals with the same active ingredient come in ester (oil-soluble) and amine (water-soluble) formulations. Get them mixed up and you'll have a mess on your hands.

rukiddin

Ok, have to ask, what is wrong with pear trees? Seems they would be good to have out there for the wildlife, if not personal consumption.
These are not your normal pear trees. These are demon spawn off a neighbor who has about 25 Bradford pears along his fence. As mentioned already, they have thorns that will go through a tractor tire and they will absolutely take over a area if not controlled. I despise them with a passion. The only benefit I've seen them have is rabbits seem to like the bark.
I would welcome actual pear trees. I'll most likely plant some in the future. I've got crabapples, American and Chickasaw plums, elderberry, indigo bush, sumac and American hazelnut all planted on my property along with 2500 short leaf pines. It's a weekly battle with the hybrid decorative pear trees. Just when I think I've got them all, I'll be going along and there'll be one head high and I'm left wondering how in the neck did I not see it.

BSK

That's what I eluded to earlier when I stated I was hoping he would have gotten into that. Not just with Hack & Squirt, but also when it comes to spraying cut stumps - the mixture with diesel and herbicide when spraying stumps weeks after the stumps were cut to act as a penetrant.
Very interesting. I've not seen that used. But then I'm only hacking with a hatchet, not cutting to stump.

BSK

I would welcome actual pear trees. I'll most likely plant some in the future.
I've asked this before and no one seems to know. What is the actual variety of pear that often exists around old home sites? They produce an absolutely HUGE pear. I can't seem to find these old-style pears listed anywhere. Deer go crazy over them.

MickThompson

I've asked this before and no one seems to know. What is the actual variety of pear that often exists around old home sites? They produce an absolutely HUGE pear. I can't seem to find these old-style pears listed anywhere. Deer go crazy over them.
If you can get some cuttings in the winter you can graft "homestead pears" onto callery rootstock

hillbillyfab

I don't know what type of pear, but I've got two, forty plus year old trees at my place. They produce some big pears almost every year. Like you stated, the deer wear them out when they start dropping.

DoubleRidge

I know where one of these old pears is. I'll have to give that a try, or try starting them from seeds.

Hmm.... interesting.....old pear tree in pasture that was my grandmothers....my Dad owns the property now....tree is about gone but it still produces some pears each year....hadn't thought about trying to start some from seed.... worth a shot.....there is no telling how many pints of pear preserve came from that tree....would love to get some started from it.

budro2

Probably a kieffer or Bartlett
Go to century farm orchard site and see if you can match up

budro2

Hmm.... interesting.....old pear tree in pasture that was my grandmothers....my Dad owns the property now....tree is about gone but it still produces some pears each year....hadn't thought about trying to start some from seed.... worth a shot.....there is no telling how many pints of pear preserve came from that tree....would love to get some started from it.
Starting from seed won't work well
Need some cuttings
Grafting pears is not easy I get 95% on apples but 20% of pears
Trying some of those rooting balls and you will have a clone

Latest posts