Is this safe to shoot?

AveryPC

I just purchased a Benelli M2 and decided to save a little money I would buy a used turkey choke tube off of eBay since they are about half the price of a new one. At first it looked like it was in great shape and had barely been used, but when what I assumed was just powder or lead residue would not wipe off, I noticed what appears to be scratches on the inside of the choke. They are noticeable to the touch and seem to be equally spaced out around the inside circumference of the choke. As this only my third-year turkey hunting, still with no success😭, I do not know what is normal and not normal for the gear used. However, in any choke I have ever used whether it be factory or aftermarket I have never noticed this. Could this be due to someone trying to shoot steel through it or improper loads, or is this just normal wear and tear that I should expect buying a used choke? Most importantly, is it safe to shoot?

Attachments

• IMG_2902.JPG
    IMG_2902.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2900.JPG
    IMG_2900.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 106

Hduke86

Looks to me like constriction marks as in maybe made to slow the wad of the load. Some chokes have "bumps" that grab the wad a little to separate it from the shot. Some shells shoot horrible cause their wad is supposed to stay with it a little and I think the flight control wad in some shells are like that. In my opinion if it's not cracked or out of round then it should be good to go

Latest posts