Food Plots Is this Alfalfa?

FrontierGander

Just curious but is the darker green stuff the alfalfa? Its very long in the plot, over a foot where as the obvious clover with the round pedals are low to the ground.

The mix was Alfalfa, clover ( white clover i believe) and chicory.

Other than some funky weeds growing and the sun flowers, the plot has been doing excellent this year.

With it being an average of 8 inches to over a foot tall, would it be a good idea to hit it with the mower before fall or just let it go? Im not hunting over it, had a nice spot for something like this and the stuff I planted this year just finally took off steady.

FrontierGander

excellent!! So do you guys like 24-24-24 for a fertilizer? Right now i've actually been spreading out OLD broke down horse manure, it seems to react really well with the plot and the plants sure enjoy it.

Hunter 257W

That's not the best fertilize for that plot. Alfalfa and clover make their own nitrogen so a 0-24-24 or anything with a "low to 0" 1st number is what you should use. Because of price and availability I use 6-12-12 on my plot with the same plants.

Just curious, is this Whitetail Institutes "Alfa Rack"? That's what I have. I have 4 acres though and it outgrows the deer hopelessly so we cut it usually 4 times a year for hay. If the alfalfa gets too tall, it will fall over and get tough. Looks like you have a plot well matched to your deer population there.

FrontierGander

No it was an off brand I bought off ebay, its been growing excellent so far. This is just a fun plot i wanted to grow and fill it in with something, I will till it in the spring and throw more seed to fill in the area's that did not take that well due to some drainage issues.

Yeah the deer so far are thick! I believe I had one deer in there in June. LOL!

Its been a rainy season and food is thick for them.

Thank you for the fertilizer info, that was super helpful.

spoon

Don't rely on anybody guess for fertilizer, do a soil sample and do what they say. You can hurt your soil with the wrong ferilizer

Latest posts