Is there a such thing as "Too Tight of a Pattern"

spitndrum

Jus wondering what yalls opinions are on this, ya some of you shoot nitros which really speak for themselves and others shoot rhino chokes which speak for themselves as well, jus had to make this thread and see what I could stir up?

Is your pattern Too tight?

Or

Is it jus depending on how confindent and comfortable you are with your gun?

ruger7mag

2-Step Enabled
I wouldn't say my pattern is too tight, but you better make sure you have the crosshairs where you want them and don't flinch, especially if they are 25 yards or less.

Harvester

I personally don't like the real tight patterns. I prefer to have a decent 40 yard pattern just in case I need to shoot that far but if it is too tight your chances of missing those real close birds increase awhole lot. Especially those inside that magical 15 yards or closer. ;)

Setterman

Absolutely, I see lots of folks worrying about getting maximum pattern density at 40+ yards, which ultimately means rifle tight groups 20 yards and closer, which could lead to missed birds. I personally never pattern my gun past 30 yards, I want a nice consistent trash can lid sized group at 30 yards, and with that am fully confident that it will kill at 40 or 50, if the rare need arises.

PickettSFHunter

Definitely. Runnin around the mountains here most of my shots are around 20 yards and have been ALOT less than that so I dont want a tight pattern. I guess the only time I would want a super tight gun is if I was just sitting a field.

Andy S.

IMO, too tight is relatively speaking. Bottom line is every hunter should "know his/her gun, choke and shell setup" and know what the patterns are at 10,20,30,40 and 50 etc.

I too hunt big hills and I use the topography to my advantage when setting up on birds, which leads to shots less than 25 yards as the turkey walks over the lip of a ridge and boom there he is in my lap. I better have the bead on his waddles and stay down on my gun if I want to harvest him and reduce my chances of missing. A super tight choke is not in my advantage in these situations, however my choke is pretty tight and I make do with it.

There are other hunters that strictly hunt open big woods in the bottoms (flat land) and big fields where I could see a super tight choke benefiting because the shots are mostly 35-50 yards.

Just my .02. Good luck hunting to all.

spitndrum

Setterman said:
Absolutely, I see lots of folks worrying about getting maximum pattern density at 40+ yards, which ultimately means rifle tight groups 20 yards and closer, which could lead to missed birds. I personally never pattern my gun past 30 yards, I want a nice consistent trash can lid sized group at 30 yards, and with that am fully confident that it will kill at 40 or 50, if the rare need arises.

Agreed I go through the same thing most do every year I feel I got to get a new choke???

Don't know why but I got one that I'm settled with now!

REN

I think so, I had a buddy with a 835 and a kicks choke. He also added a diamond scope on top. The thing was a MACHINE at 40-60 yds but had a pattern like a silver dollar at 10-15. I witnessed him miss 2 birds that year at close range just because the pattern was so tight. A VERY tight pattern and a scope can definitely cause some issues.

deerchaser007

spitndrum said:
Jus wondering what yalls opinions are on this, ya some of you shoot nitros which really speak for themselves and others shoot rhino chokes which speak for themselves as well, jus had to make this thread and see what I could stir up?

Is your pattern Too tight?

Or

Is it jus depending on how confindent and comfortable you are with your gun?

I am confident and comfortable with my set up. Not to tight at close range,.. but still gets me out to 50. I use a 660 jellyhead with 3 inch 6 shot x-tended range and a scope in my 870. Last year i killed 2 burds,. 1 at 48 yards and the other at 7 steps. When i pull the trigger i want to KNOW that i can make a clean kill,. not ASSUME!! I know what i can do and what my gun can do,. IMO, thats all you need.

Setterman

That is your choice, meat is not the reason we hunt turkeys. Sure it is great, but not the sole reason we are out there. It is all about playing the game for most of us. If you want to body shoot them, go right ahead, I could care less. Dead is dead, in my book.

spitndrum

Re: Is there a such thing as "Too Tight of a Patte

renegade50 said:
you need to roll a couple this season spit !!!
good luck man!!!!!!!!!

aint gonna call you brandon

please refrain from that bad 4 letter word you insist on calling me o-tay?????? :crazy: :D :D :D
yes sir I got ya

Latest posts