Didnt realize there was a change

megalomaniac

Was forever the rule a legal turkey had to have a 3in beard.

Now there's a 1 jake rule and a list of characteristics that define a legal bird. All good, such as ONE of the following... a 6 in beard, full barring to wing tips, 1/2 in spurs, and full fan.

But the regs DON'T say it has to be a male.

So I can kill 2 hens annually as my limit legally? They have full fans and have barring to the wing tips?

Maybe the regs should specify 'male' turkeys only??? Otherwise 2 hens are legal in TN spring season.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240408_200443_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240408_200443_Chrome.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 33

megalomaniac

Hasn't it always been visible beard?
Yup. Much to my chagrin, TWRA has always defined a -legal' bird as one with a 3 in beard, irrespective of sex or age.

For some reason, they have chosed to specify all the characteristics defining an adult male in the regs, yet those characteristics are irrelevant to whether the bird is legal to harvest or not. Seems it's still 'bearded' irrespective of sex or age.

@fulldraw

Yup. Much to my chagrin, TWRA has always defined a -legal' bird as one with a 3 in beard, irrespective of sex or age.

For some reason, they have chosed to specify all the characteristics defining an adult male in the regs, yet those characteristics are irrelevant to whether the bird is legal to harvest or not. Seems it's still 'bearded' irrespective of sex or age.
"Super jakes" are now considered adults. 😉

@fulldraw

Not if they don't have a beard! Sex and age is irrelevant. 'Beard' (now whether visible or not, length is now irrelevant) is the defining characteristic of harvestability.
Can't say I've ever seen a super jake without a beard. They usually have 6-7" beard but no other adult defining characteristics.

megalomaniac

Not trying to be difficult... just trying to understand the semantics of TNs regulations. I'm sure the 'intent' of the regulations are for folks to kill males birds, only one of which may be a juvenile. But the verbiage makes it much less clear. All I can get definitively is that noone can kill more than 1 jake in a season (even kids). Beyond that and it's a black hole.

Latest posts