Is something wrong with this deer?

rifle02

It looks like a young Whitetail with a heavy winter coat but strange variation in coloration on the head face and neck. No white throat patch either. The face looks strange because it has bulging cheeks, either from impactions or just a giant cud!

backyardtndeer

I was thinking sika-whitetail hybrid. Heck, I don't even know if that's possible! But if your dad knows the deer, I'm sticking with his call. 👍
Whitetails and mule deer do interbreed where they cohabit and have hybrids. Don't know if whitetails and sika can interbreed though.

The deer in the op is unusual, missing white from it's belly, no white on the nose, and no white throat patch. If it were a color variant that had no white, there would be no white hair in the ears or under the tail. Would still think it possible someone had this deer get loose, and it just found it's way into the herd and sticks with the herd hitting the corn.

The shaggy hair around the neck and different color sure make it look to not be a whitetail. Been a while since we have been, but think we have seen similar deer at the safari park.

Latest posts