Is seeds killing our wildlife?

Hawk103161

We have actually stopped feeding the birds. Main reason is the neighbors cat. My girl doesn't like luring them to their death. Also the Avian Flu... I remember the good ol' days. You saved your own seeds from planting season to planting season. I would love to have my Grandmothers stash of seeds.....Sigh

redblood

What is the percent of ROUND UP ready corn / wheat etc to NON TREATED SEEDS? Can you even buy non treated seeds
What is the percent of ROUND UP ready corn / wheat etc to NON TREATED SEEDS? Can you even buy non treated seeds ?
Roundup ready isnt an innoculant, coating or pre-seed treatment. Rather its a product of isolating seeds that were naturally tolerant of glycophate (roundup) and selective crossing those seeds together to create a strain that is virtually 100 unaffected by roundup. My undergraduate degree is agriculture and their is nothing about roundup ready seeds that scare me at all, other than the fact they will
Definitely be exposed to multiple applications of roundup during the growing cycle. The seed coatings due alarm me because they are directly ingested by wildlife. Here is a pic of a tom i killed last yr in one of my early soybean fields (not a food plot , but a leased ag field). It crawl was completely full of treated seed .

But its a necessary evil that makes crop production more efficient and helps lower input costs and crop loss. Which is essential in trying to feed more people on less land

MickThompson

This is sickening to read… the guy in the video is not a scientist and is not telling the whole story. 2 sides to every story. Roundup is not making people sick and insecticides are not killing bees. Can reference that with a litany of scientific papers if you don't believe me.
Insecticides aren't killing bees? How do you figure? They may not be the only thing, or main thing killing bees, but to suggest that chemicals designed and used to kill bugs don't kill bugs is some shaky ground to make your stand on.

Last edited:

MickThompson

We have actually stopped feeding the birds. Main reason is the neighbors cat. My girl doesn't like luring them to their death. Also the Avian Flu... I remember the good ol' days. You saved your own seeds from planting season to planting season. I would love to have my Grandmothers stash of seeds.....Sigh
Wish all the turkey hunters doing "preseason management" would follow suit and shut down their feeders for the same reasons plus subsidizing nest raiders

TheLBLman

Wish all the turkey hunters doing "preseason management" would follow suit and shut down their feeders for the same reasons plus subsidizing nest raiders
Yep.
Feeders may indirectly be causing more predatory deaths of turkeys than nest raiders.
Dogs, coyotes, and bobcats also pick up on "lying in wait" near feeders being ideal ambush locations to kill young deer, especially button bucks.

Ski

Insecticides absolutely kill bees. Unlike most insects, bees are social by nature so the insecticides may arguably be even harder on them than the targeted bugs. Could it be possible an infected bee carries it back to the nest, killing the entire colony? I don't actually know but it's a reasonable question to ask.

JCDEERMAN

Maybe consider getting off soy...might help with your confusion.
Thanks for giving me the confirmation - I was giving you the benefit of the doubt of not being an a$$hat

But here you are.

So I think I understand your logic - I plant soybeans for deer, which translates to me being feminine and having breasts now. 🤣 got it

Piss off

WestTN2288

Insecticides aren't killing bees? How do you figure? They may not be the only thing, or main thing killing bees, but to suggest that chemicals designed and used to kill bugs don't kill bugs is some shaky ground to make your stand on.
Well you are right. Insecticides aren't causing bee colony collapse, was my intention to communicate. Varroa mites and bad bee keeping seems to be common when I look, but everyone is so quick to make modern at and farmers the villain regardless of the facts

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
This is sickening to read… the guy in the video is not a scientist and is not telling the whole story. 2 sides to every story. Roundup is not making people sick and insecticides are not killing bees. Can reference that with a litany of scientific papers if you don't believe me.
You can find just as many that say the opposite. The trouble with papers and studies is who is paying to have them done ???

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Well you are right. Insecticides aren't causing bee colony collapse, was my intention to communicate. Varroa mites and bad bee keeping seems to be common when I look, but everyone is so quick to make modern at and farmers the villain regardless of the facts
Politicians, Lobbyist's, Major manufacturer's of insecticides and herbicides are way up my list of villains before farmers. FDA is right up on top for saying a lot of things are safe that are banned elsewhere. No telling what kind of crap the Chinese are using to grow a very large part of the food we eat.

WestTN2288

Politicians, Lobbyist's, Major manufacturer's of insecticides and herbicides are way up my list of villains before farmers. FDA is right up on top for saying a lot of things are safe that are banned elsewhere. No telling what kind of crap the Chinese are using to grow a very large part of the food we eat.
They top my villain list too. But American farmers are getting the short end of the stick when it comes to these types of issues. Ask your local county agent

WestTN2288

Just like gun enthusiasts are the biggest proponents of gun safety, hunters are the biggest wildlife conservationists, farmers are the biggest land conservationists. If 98% of them are doing something, there is a reason and they don't believe it's harming their biggest asset. Please go ask them about it before you bandwagon throwing them under the bus

MickThompson

Just like gun enthusiasts are the biggest proponents of gun safety, hunters are the biggest wildlife conservationists, farmers are the biggest land conservationists. If 98% of them are doing something, there is a reason and they don't believe it's harming their biggest asset. Please go ask them about it before you bandwagon throwing them under the bus
Conservation comes at a cost that few are willing to pay.

deerhunter10

Farmers hands are forced it's not on them its on seed herbicides and pesticides companies. Just like everything it's gotten ridiculously political and that's a big part of the issues. We are cattle and hay farmers and fescue is also bad for turkeys but we are forced to seed it so we can make money on hay. What little we make. Go ask row crop guys if they know what they are planting and spraying. They don't and most don't care. Ask all those guys still spraying dicamba. The biggest problem is even if something foes come out it'll be swept under the rug. Farmers are to blame but wayy down on the list mainly to be blamed for just ignorance. On the flip side bet most of yal on hear have never farmed or haven't in 20 plus years or since you were kids. Yal are out of touch. Just like most of yal probably think cattle guys are rich because of the grocery stores.

TheLBLman

First, by no means am I throwing farmers under the bus.
I come from a farming family and have many, many farming friends.

What is a row-crop farmer's biggest asset?

I may not have the answer for that question, but I'm certain it is not the once abundant bobwhite quail of West TN. Modern farming practices have been one of the biggest factors in making these birds near extinct in West TN.

We are cattle and hay farmers and fescue is also bad for turkeys but we are forced to seed it so we can make money on hay.
I do understand this dilemma.

The wholesale replacement of native grasses with fescue has greatly contributed to the population decline of bobwhite quail, and is of zero value to any wildlife (at least relative to those diverse native grasses it has displaced).

I have much disdain for fescue.
The only thing worse for wildlife (and row-cropping) is johnson grass.
Who oh who thought it was a good idea to bring in johnson grass to Tennessee?
Perhaps the good folks at Monsanto?
Roundup was once the only thing we could find that would kill it.

Last edited:

JCDEERMAN

I may not have the answer for that question, but I'm certain it is not the once abundant bobwhite quail of West TN. Modern farming practices have been one of the biggest factors in making these birds near extinct in West TN.

The wholesale replacement of native grasses with fescue has greatly contributed to the population decline of bobwhite quail, and is of zero value to any wildlife (at least relative to those diverse native grasses it has displaced).

Perhaps the good folks at Monsanto?
Roundup was once the only thing we could find that would kill it.
F johnson grass! We never had it on our place until we lent our bushhog out to someone and then cut our place. Now it's in certain fields and it took years to get it under control. We are good now, but I hate the stuff. Whenever any of our equipment leaves, we pressure wash it immediately

WestTN2288

Perhaps the good folks at United States government?***
Johnson grass has always been difficult to control with any herbicide.****
Fixed it for you.

In case you would like to check for yourself.

And farmers aren't forced, they do what works. Also, they generally know the seeds they are growing better than the people selling them do

Latest posts