Is it something in the water at Knoxville?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Year after year, coach after coach, play about half the game and then relax and try not to lose instead of try to win.

I am not a huge football scholar but I used to enjoy watching TN play football and listen to John Ward on the radio.
Year after year they couldn't beat Alabama, or Florida and year after year the play great till the coaches tie their hands.

What is so hard about it?
Why do they do that?

Seriously.

Deer Whisperer

I don't know how Vandy is playing now, but for years Vandy could play world class football against some of the best teams for about 3 quarters. They would always figure out a way to loose at the end.

The UT game this weekend reminded me of that.

Spurhunter

RUGER":1svs6ibv said:
Year after year, coach after coach, play about half the game and then relax and try not to lose instead of try to win.

I am not a huge football scholar but I used to enjoy watching TN play football and listen to John Ward on the radio.
Year after year they couldn't beat Alabama, or Florida and year after year the play great till the coaches tie their hands.

Why do they do that?

Seriously.

You are exactly right and as a rabid, diehard UT an I am sick of it. IMO the sign of a good coach is he doesn't turn down the heat and he keeps his foot on the throat. We may be witnessing Dooley 2.0.

gator-n-buck

RUGER":24asm3fv said:

Why do they do that?

Seriously.

Some coaches play to win and some play not to lose..... CBJ is a play not to lose coach.

baddnole

gator-n-buck":1cc5x7dj said:
RUGER":1cc5x7dj said:

Why do they do that?

Seriously.

Some coaches play to win and some play not to lose..... CBJ is a play not to lose coach.
Tom Landry started playing that bend don't break defense in the 70's. He lost more than he won.

gator-n-buck

Hillbilly Hunter":29h6rd99 said:
gator-n-buck":29h6rd99 said:
Hillbilly Hunter":29h6rd99 said:
He was Saturday for sure.

He did the same against the Gators last season.

I'm wondering when UT fans will stop coming to CBJ's rescue when he's choking... :)
I dont think i came to anyones rescue.....but you spin it like you want to. That is your specialty.

:tu:

Gravey

Outplayed them for 3 quarters and then the wheels fell off. I have never been a fan of taking your foot off the gas. You make them tap out and once it's out of reach put the backups in but don't ask them to not score. As an offense your job is to score no matter what. Put your foot on the throat and still it.

BamaProud

Honestly, I think it is lack of confidence. Mike Shula did it at Alabama.

I think when coaches who lack confidence get a lead, they go into a "OK now I don't want to screw this up" mode and get too conservative allowing opponents to mount a comeback.

Just my opinion take it for what its worth.

Latest posts